5.0 Teasers!

These screenshots posted are really cool guys, keep up the good job :D

And btw, is it possible to dump IE and use Portable Firefox or something like that and make a XUL based WPI?

Just a suggestion :)

Edited by Martijn

Is the new version of WPI stil installing as Administrator or is it possible to make a All User install.

Just wondering Kel... :thumbup

3 day to go and then....no more sleep.

LOL :hello:

Thanks Mritter for this nice job. :thumbup:thumbup

Edited by Pliek

maybe I'm not in the position of replying to your post, but I think it probably needs administrator priviledges or at least most of the programs will certainly need.

Also, registry entries aplied somewhere else than your keys (HKCU ..) need special priviledges.

I will try to reach Nanaki and see but you do know you can use a custom image right?

Yes, I know, but i ask because i don't have a good hand in graphic design to make my own wpi5.0 image. I think it should be designed like the default theme. it is okay if you only make the image it doesn't have to be integrated in the cdswitch.exe. this could be done through the cdswitch.ini i think.

regards and thanx

t-o-m-m-y

These screenshots posted are really cool guys, keep up the good job :D

And btw, is it possible to dump IE and use Portable Firefox or something like that and make a XUL based WPI?

Just a suggestion :)

No way possible :no: No matter how much I would like it to run on the other browsers the whole thing would need to be rewritten from scratch and I have no clue of the coding needed for the other browsers. It is way to embeded in hta and html code to run on other browsers.

Is the new version of WPI stil installing as Administrator or is it possible to make a All User install.

Just wondering Kel... :thumbup

3 day to go and then....no more sleep.

LOL :hello:

Thanks Mritter for this nice job. :thumbup:thumbup

maybe I'm not in the position of replying to your post, but I think it probably needs administrator priviledges or at least most of the programs will certainly need.

Also, registry entries aplied somewhere else than your keys (HKCU ..) need special priviledges.

I hope Kelsenellenelvian or Mritter can give me a clear answer.

Anyway thanks for your reply, you could be right (sounds logical).

Edited by Pliek

Pliek,

Maybe a new feature???

I push a lot of data files around via self-extracting executables (about 20 data files a month) and plan on making whatever version of WPI (currently a hybrid of WPI 4.4) i'm using to at least run those without admin privileges. I currently query if the user is an administrator and hide the applications that require admin rights. I've added a checkbox in the configwizardtemplate.htm (with appropriate logic) so when I configure, I only have to check whether the program requires admin or not ("IsAdmin" is the default).

I do a lot of changes to WPI to work within my Enterprise. These new monthly updates appear to end-users as Windows updates via a system tray pop-up. The user only needs to click on the pop-up and the WPI interface appears, showing what new updates are available. I plan on adding those to the wishlist of WPI 5.x in the future so they can be implemented as features or options for all users, if accepted.

I, like many am very happy with what I see in WPI 5.0 and can't wait till the release. Thanks to all that have participated in the project.

T

i remove i.e. from my os and use firefox. i use WPI on a standalone cd. is the anyway that WPI could "look" for mshta.exe automatically instead of having to browse for it in c:\windows\system32?

@bober

I don't remove IE from my CDs so I can't say 100% that WPI will still work. I assume mshta.exe is all that is required, BUT the installer window uses a Modeless window that only IE supports. If you watch the Task Manager and start WPI, a new explorer.exe is not started, just mshta.exe. So.......

As far as having to search for mshta.exe, I would assume that since you remove IE the file association is also removed. Double-clicking WPI.hta starts it automatically (duh). You will just have to supply the enitre path in your script:

c:\windows\system32\mshta.exe WPI.hta

I have on my To Do List to build in a cd switcher. It will be generic and by no means as full-featured as CDSwicther. If I write it, it will be in version 5.1. Trying to clear out the Tools folder as much as possible; don't want to rely on third-party software.

Edited by mritter

@mritter

mshta.exe is still in system32 after removing i.e.

double clicking the old WPI.cmd or WPI.hta would not start WPI. it will be necessary to "choose" a program to open it with and the browse for mshta.exe and choosing it to get WPI started.

i assume WPI 5.0 will be the same.

there is no way that i will leave i.e. on my system. it's too be a virus and exploit honey pot.

You could always find a reg file to register hta files and run it before you run wpi.hta.

Something like this:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htafile\DefaultIcon]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\mshta.exe,1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\htafile\Shell\Open\Command]

@="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\mshta.exe \"%1\" %*"

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian