nVidia Driver 81.95 cannot be installed

owikh84

I've integrated nVidia Forceware Driver 81.95 into nLite.

During the windows setup, i got "setup cannot copy the following file: engine.cab, nv4_disp.dl_, nv4_mini.sy_, etc, press ESC to ignore"

Going to roll back to RC7 which i got no prob with it

EDIT: I reextract the driver's exe and got it to work with nLte RC8

Edited by owikh84

Can you post a link to that specific driver and also was it edited in any way, did you run nlite more than once on that source?

I dl and extracted from here

http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/81.95/81.95_forceware_winxp2k_english_whql.exe

I didn't edit the driver nor directory structure at all.

yup, i've ran the source several times when using nLite.

btw, audio driver worked perfectly.

Ok now the important step...can you explain exactly how did you run nlite the second or the third time?

For example:

- copied clean cd

- slipstream Service Pack

- restart nlite

- integrate drivers

- restart nlite

- remove components

?

So as you may have guessed that restart line is important for me to test what went wrong.

And did you use any addons in the process?

calderstrake, I like to recommend the Display Driver removal because there is no point in having the old drivers in the installation, they may take over if the new one is not WHQL.

Are you sure that integrated drivers don't work for you if you remove old ones?

calderstrake, I like to recommend the Display Driver removal because there is no point in having the old drivers in the installation, they may take over if the new one is not WHQL.

nope. it's ok now i'll try to prepare a "clean" extracted driver archive.

Yes, it is a sound recommendation which is why I attempted to do that first, but with no success.

Yes I am sure. I tested it 3 times and each time I removed the 'Display Drivers' it did not install the newer, integrated drivers. If I remove the 'Display Drivers (Old)' everything works as it should. It only breaks if you remove the plain 'Display Drivers'.

Edited by calderstrake

calderstrake--Well, this is just odd: like Nuhi, I'm inlcined to say this makes no sense (especially given my experience of always removing all XP display drivers for 50+ builds now--with the exception of a couple of older laptops)--however, given my recent weird mouse cursor behavior (where I've had to install the default Windows cursors just to get my themse installed), we may be looking at another possible bug here. But it still doesn't sound right.

owikh84: although I would like to, I've found that going over the same source repeatedly, without refreshing the base files cleanly from the original source, almost always leads to problems. I know it takes a little longer, but it's less headaches in the end.

How are you extracting them or otherwise storing them for nLite to get to?

How are you extracting them or otherwise storing them for nLite to get to?

download the driver from nVidia site and extract the exe with WinRAR 3.51. With nLite, integrate the driver by choosing the nv4_displ.inf.

@ oioldman

The reason some of us are using 81.95 is because the newer drivers are not compatible with some XP setups. Namely Media Center. It's an ugly mess!

Though I'm using 81.98. Seems to work...

Edited by razormoon

razormoon, that's good to know--just Media Center? I only ask because I've actually never had any problems with using even the newest beta drivers--but I've only messed with Media Center once (and not as a custom install).

BTW, I've just incorporated the latest ForceWare 91.28 without a hiccup into my latest build, if anyone's interested.