cdrom.sys and xp problem

ecollins

My computer consistently rebooted itself after starting, running XP PRO. It seems like it's a problem with the cdrom.sys file, when the file is renamed to cdrom.old, the system boots fine, but I have no cd drives available. I have removed the option to restart after failure so it has stopped rebooting. The cdrom.sys file seems to be a problem, Has anyone seen this problem?

strange problem. i would try disconnecting the cd-rom drive and renaming cdrom.old back to .sys and see if it still happens.

also, (and this is a long shot) sometimes i've seen strange behavior from windows when i use cable select on IDE devices instead of specifically choosing master/slave

I agree with Ophiel X on this issue. Remove the CD-rom (unplug the power from it) and re-name the file back and see what happens. You might have a drive going bad. I have also had bad results with the cable select option.

Thanks for the help! I do appreciate any and all suggestions.

Here's a list of things I have done:

I have disabled the drives within Windows, and I get the BSOD on cdrom.sys during the start of Windows.

I have disabled the drives through BIOS, and I get the BOSD on cdrom.sys during the start of Windows.

I have attached a brand new hard drive, booted from CD-ROM, and attempted to install a new copy of Windows, and during the start up process the newly installed files causes a BSOD listing cdrom.sys as the problem. Error code: 0x0000007E.

I have swapped out the CDROM drive with a new one, disabled my DVD-ROM drive through BIOS and I get the BSOD.

The system I am using is 3 years old.

It's got an ASUS Mobo, with 1.5 GB RDRAM, 3.06 GHZ proc,

2 200GB WD 7200 Drives

ATI 9700 128MB video card.

1 Plextor 48 CD-RW

1 Pioneer DVD+R drive

I am thinking I need a new case with MOBO and put in piece by piece to test each item to see where it fails.

But any other suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks.