Clone ATA <-> SATA

libtest

We've got some workstations with IDE disks/controllers and others with SATA disks/controllers (VIA VT8237 only, but maybe more in the future). Would like to have a common disk image that we can load on both, without visiting the recovery console. Is that possible?

WinXP SP2.

TIA

• 6 months later...

Are you doing

IDE --> SATA or

SATA --> IDE

If IDE --> SATA you would have to make sure SATA drivers are installed within system before you do image of it.

I believe if you would make image on SATA based system (that is working on SATA already) you wouldn't have problem with using that image on IDE system, as IDE is builtin, just SATA support has to be added.

So to summarize my believes:

1. Create system image of system that has SATA drive installed and working. Test it on IDE based hw. Should work.

or

1. Apply sata drivers into system that is installed on IDE disk. DO image, deploy it.

Works?

not quite exactly, but very close, yes :)

If I misunderstood you, then sorry... but the differences as I see are that I say to make sure both controllers are working simultaneously in one install and imaging that install. Ive found that to be important in some cases, it seems to work more fail-safe then the method I think you recommend. :)

use sysprep and add to the end of the sysprep.inf file the following lines:

[sysprep]

BuildMassStorageSection=yes

[sysprepMassStorage]

If you have to press F6 to install the SATA controller during a normal windows installation you will need to add the HWID and driver path to the SysprepMassStorage section manually, see the dploy.chm file with the deployment tools for details.