Can you use Vista on your PC?

laurens

I can yes, and I should since I spent too much on upgrade ...

But tried advisor anyway and this is what it says (for all options)

"Make sure you have an approved TV Tuner card"

Maybe I should have installled the drivers :lol:

Rest is fine

We're sorry, but your PC cannot currently install and run the core experiences of Windows Vista. 
However, you may be able prepare your computer for Windows Vista by upgrading your PC hardware.
You will need to take the following actions to run Windows Vista.

Additional hard drive storage

15GB free space required (Your computer currently has 11.53 GB)
You will either need to:
a) upgrade your hard drive to increase its capacity, or
B) create additional free space on your existing drive by removing unwanted files.
If you decide to upgrade your hard drive, we recommend 40GB capacity at minimum for premium editions of Windows Vista. Contact your PC retailer to see if an upgrade is available.

I want that minute of my life back.

:P

• 3 weeks later...
System Compatibility Status

Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor could not run Winsat. System compatibility status could not be evaluated.

:)

Does anybody know what this error message means? I've received it on all of my computers, even on the newest one with i955X/D820/1GB RAM/250GB RAID - what could be the reason? I have tried it to run both under Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista, and again - always the same error message:

System Compatibility Status
Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor could not run Winsat. System compatibility status could not be evaluated.

Petr

I took the "crash course" test version of this question - I installed Vista Beta 2 on my computer overnight.

It's Dell Dimension 8100, 1.7GHz P4, 1GB RAM, Pioneer DVD+RW, Seagate 160 GB plus Maxtor 250 GB hard drives, old graphics card with only 32 MB RAM. I bought this system in September of 2001 - probably one of the last computers Dell shipped with ME.

The answer is - Vista installs. Aero Glass does not. My network connection was not recognized, my audio was not recognized, but Vista runs. From my limited testing, speed didn't seem too bad.

I'm considering upgrading the video card to see if I can get Aero Glass to run - 256 MB AGP cards are getting cheaper. (Anybody know if an AGP 8X card is compatible with an AGP 4x slot? No, I'm not kidding - the most graphics-heavy game I play is Spider Solitaire.)

I'm also going to set up a dual-boot between XP and Vista for testing. Plus, this way I know what I'll absolutely need when I purchase a new setup next spring.

I'm considering upgrading the video card to see if I can get Aero Glass to run - 256 MB AGP cards are getting cheaper. (Anybody know if an AGP 8X card is compatible with an AGP 4x slot? No, I'm not kidding - the most graphics-heavy game I play is Spider Solitaire.)
Some cards do, but its pointless to buy a 8x card just to put it in a 4x slot.

on a side note, its funny how the OS now uses more resources then our games. xD

Edited by janus zeal

Does anybody know what this error message means?

At a guess, it can't locate winsat.exe.

Did you install it to a non-default folder?

Might be worth running FileMon while you run the tool, to see where it is looking for winsat.exe (if it is indeed "file not found").

I took the "crash course" test version of this question - I installed Vista Beta 2 on my computer overnight.

I'm also going to set up a dual-boot between XP and Vista for testing. Plus, this way I know what I'll absolutely need when I purchase a new setup next spring.

Could you point me to instructions on setting up a dual boot? I will be using two drives. Thanks in advance.

Could you point me to instructions on setting up a dual boot? I will be using two drives. Thanks in advance.
Easiest way is have XP loaded on one drive or partition. Then simply Install Vista to another drive or partition. Vista moved the boot files off the XP part and took total control over it. Kinda neat is you boot to XP its on the C:\, boot to Vista and it's the C: drive.

Yes indeed :D

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 lappy with 1GB of RAM, 60GB 7200 HD and 128MB vidcard. Runs everything great, including Aero Glass. ATI has beta drivers for my vidcard, and the sound drivers came over MU after getting online. Install took over an hour, and the image is HUGE, but, it's very stable and runs Office 2007 beta 2 like a champ. I'm the kid on your block with all the great new toys ;)

OT: I'll tell ya, I've never been a big fan of Dell, but this machine is awesome. From FreeBSD to LinSux to any version of Windows including 95, this thing will handle anything I throw at it. And as an added bonus, I get very decent framerates in UT2004 (the only game worth playing these days).