SP2 & Hotfix CD

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has a complete list of hotfixes and patches for a machine that has WIN XP with no service pack.

What I want to do is have a cd / dvd with SP2 and all hotfixes to run from this disc as I have about 300 laptop work machine's coming in for a hardware update and would like to patch all machine's at the same time.

Any help would be great

Cheers

Stuart

or you could install xpsp2 ONLY with NO hotfixes installed then run windowsupdate which will show you what is needed and then repeat until none needed and bingo one list generated and then you can download and install how you wish

My suggestion would be to setup a WSUS server and configure each machine to check in every hour. Then install the updates until the server says the machine is up to date.

Like RyanVM said i used Hulk's thread and created a cmd file and i just update it each month, here it is for your reference.

:thumbup

Hi

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Many thanks :thumbup

Stuart

Edited by zorg2000k

The script above should work but I would recomend adding some error checking. First verify that the system is running Windows XP. Next verify that service pack 2 is installed. Finally install missing hot fixes.

@echo off

rem Verify system is running windows XP

reg.exe query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v ProductName | find "Microsoft Windows XP" > nul:

if errorlevel 1 (

echo **** System not running Windows XP ****

goto :EOF

)

rem look for service pack 2

reg.exe query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v CSDVersion | find "Service Pack 2" > nul:

if errorlevel 1 (

echo **** Installing Service Pack 2 ****

rem add code to install service pack 2

goto :EOF

)

rem look for missing hot fix KB901017

reg.exe query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\HotFix\KB901017" /v Installed >nul: 2>&1

if errorlevel 1 (

echo Installing MS05-048 KB901017

rem add code to install missing hot fix

)

Note: In some cases you may need to check the file version to determine if a patch is installed. You could write a vbs ot js script to do this or use the filever command which is part of the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools.

I think you have found out a probable answer to your query.

Another one could be ,

Install SP2 on each machine , and on the Same CD , Get Autopacther.

I think there is a switch ot make it run Automated.

you can think about it!!

• 4 weeks later...

hey guys, any easy way of getting all the files from the .cmd files above, i really don't wanna download each and every one of them manually.

*hmmm thinks of the possiblility of a wget script to get the latest "critical" updates.....*