RC8: Actual and Potential Bugtrack Post

nowinscenario

[Preliminary Notes: If anyone has any specifics to add to this list, this is a place to do it, in order to collate the bugs into a single area, making it easier for Nuhi (as well as other VIPs) to peruse and analyze...]

[This list is an ongoing edit, currently spanning six nLited OSes, tested in VMWare and, so far, on one completed laptop. Currently, I am readying two desktops for the next round. Everybody to their corners...!]

NOT WORKING OR OTHERWISE STRANGE BEHAVIOR (An In-Progress Documentation):

Visual Effects (My Computer Properties) - Persistent Behavior

set to be disabled, but yet ended up enabled instead

Slide TaskBar Buttons

Show Translucent Selection Rectangle

Use Common Tasks in Folders

Use a Background Image for Each Folder Type

Visual Styles on Buttons and Windows

Enable Combo Box Animation

Enable List Box Animation

Enable Menu Animation

Enable Tooltip Animation

Enable Tooltip Fade

Enable Window Animation

Enable Smooth Scrolling

Show window contents while dragging

Visual Effects - Inconsistent Behavior

one of those "flip a coin" settings: it sometimes obeys, it sometimes ignores

ClearType

Effects (Display Properties/Appearance/Effects) - Persistent Behavior

Scroll Effect

Password Prompt (Display Properties/Screensaver/Power/Advanced): Inconsistent Behavior

Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby

MRU (various settings) - Persistent Behavior

Maintain document history

Maintain network history

Enable AutoComplete

Remember Previously Used filenames

Automatic Updates - Persistent Behavior

set to be Turn Off Automatic Updates, but yet ended up no toggle at all

Remote (Computer Properties/Remote) - Persistent Behavior

set to be disabled, but yet ended up enabled instead (this despite the fact that other remote settings are disabled)

Allow Users to Remotely Connect to this Computer

Mouse Properties (Control Panel) – Persistent Behavior

cursors set to install, but directory not created, though (unusable) themes still listed as installed

Cursor themes seem install in name only (as an indication in properties), and themes of the multi-theme packs which contained them do install without a problem, but the cursors never finish installing.

So to illuminate this even further: cursor schemes are visible in pointer box (including references to all the stand-alone add-on cursor theme CABs, but Windows has no Cursor directory, so the entire folder is not even created! So maybe those CABs would be able to deposit their cursors, but there's nowhere to put them. This is a strange first, in my experience: a common Windows directory that's simply not generated. [Another point: these themes and packs were all used on previous nLited OSes with no problem (these CABs are some of the usual stand-bys that usually operate without a glitch).]

Another observation, which I've forgot to mention--but this one goes all the way back to when I first started using the theme add-ons that contain cursors: when I choose a specific theme, Windows always pops up an error message to the effect that "this theme is already in use ... blah, blah, blah"--and it happens every time I switch to a new theme (?!). This holds true even after correctly extracting the cursors and creating their directory. (It does, however, allow you to change themes.)

Nuhi: Update and temporary workaround which may give you a clue: if I don't tick nLite to remove the Windows cursors (like I've always done without problems), then it installs the cursor themes fine—I just have to deal with all that crappy MS cursor schemata that I don't like. So somehow this little area becomes bugged.

Folder Options - Persistent

set to enabled, but never works (but this one is not original to RC8—it goes way back)

Show Control Panel in My Computer

Windows Settings (various) – Persistent

set to be enabled, but yet ended up disabled instead

Restore previous folder Windows at logon

set to be enabled, but does not show Protected OS Files

Show All Files and Folders

Start Menu (various settings) – Persistent

Use Classic Search in Explorer/IE

Maintain network/document History

Allow Recent Documents on Start Menu

Enable AutoComplete

Start Menu Pop-up

just added (I kept forgetting this one)--however, let it be known that this has been a longtime inconsistency, not peculiar necessarily to RC8

Time Synchronization – Persistent

Desktop Cleanup and Desktop Cleanup Wizard - Inconsistent

NET Framework 1.1 (and updates to it) - Inconsistent

This is just as odd as the cursor install paradox above: the add-on CAB has both .NETs in the same CAB—they are not separate—yet, for some reason 1.1 has a 50/50 chance of installing (?!) … This is consistently inconsistent for five nLited OSes now, both Home and Professional, with slight variations in settings and additional CABs, in VMWare and as an actual install, on laptop and desktops.

User and Logon Names – Inconsistent Behavior (?)

one of those "flip a coin" settings: it sometimes obeys, it sometimes ignores, it sometimes does something else entirely

This one is so weird I can't really comprehend it enough to explain, but I'll try: one time nLite did not change Administrator or User Name, as per my choices, thus auto login failed: had to login as simply Administrator by simply guessing default. You can also read another thread (for which not one person had a proposed solution or explanation) concerning particularly Home, where changing user name and company changes only the registration data, but not the name as it's displayed in Windows or the Control Panel—and even when you change it in the Control Panel, post-install, it only changes how it's displayed there [i will post a link to this later].

Best case scenario: I change the Administrator name when the choice first arrives, but do not change it in the second instance (I do, however, change the Guest name there, which seems to work fine)—this has the effect of logging me in as the Administrator, with no additional user created (which I've given up on for now); but, you guessed it, the Administrator name was not changed (?!). [More on this one later…]

A sample of some session and winnt.sifs are attached, for your viewing pleasure...

=;-}'

Last_Session.ini

WINNT.SIF

Third_Last_Session.ini

Third_WINNT.SIF

Edited by nowinscenario

Visual Effects (My Computer Properties): [these were all set to be disabled, but yet were enabled instead]

Slide TaskBar Buttons

Show Translucent Selection Rectangle

Use Common Tasks in Folders

Use a Background Image for Each Folder Type

Visual Styles on Buttons and Windows

Effects (Display Properties/Appearance/Effects): [this was set to disabled, but enabled itself instead]

Scroll Effect

Open regedit and go to : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\

Then take a look at the different values.

Is there any thing that seems weird? (values will be self-explanatory)

Btw, I use SP1 and modifying these values at T-12 works perfectly.

A few weeks ago I posted "new" visual reg tweaks I found when running ProcessExplorer and then regedit at T-12 : the only keys which had names such as "ListviewWatermark" where stored there. It has always been working for me.

I had no time to test RC8 so I don't know what it does but I *guess* something has been changed there.

Normally, "Checked Value" is "1" and "UncheckValue" is "0". The behavior you depict makes me think the values have been exchanged. Just a guess.

Sorry, it would be more detailed and updated (because I have a couple more builds), but I'm overloaded in fixing computers right now).

I only wish others would add to this list, so you would have it all in one place, to make it easier to troubleshoot, and to recognize collating patterns. (Hint. Hint, everybody. Thou shalt contribute to the cause of making Microsoft mine!) {:~]

Edited by nowinscenario

I can confirm all of those "bugs" and a few more.

Same, not sure, but there may be conflict with some of the regtweaks overwriting one another, (such as visual styles and folder views). But definately some are "reversed" (i.e. remote desktop: default disabled, when "ticked" to not allow, becomed enabled).

Bugs reported:

1. The "Start Menu - Disable popup on first boot" not working as ticked. I still have my Start Menu popup.

2. Automatic setting for NetAdapter NOT working. btw, i'm using DSL broadband connection. (I checked the TCI/IP properties and all boxes are blank!)

here are a few suggestions:

1 Please include "First icon on desktop" in the next build.

2. Add more "Context Menus to thee right click of My Computer" eg: turn-off, log-off, restart, standy, ms configurator (msConfig), registry editor (regedit), system restore, tweakui etc...

3. Use default "Add or Remove Programs" instead of "Software" (looks unprofessional) to the context menu of My Computer

4. Add control panel in My Computer (as well as context menu)

5. Remove nVidia's desktop context menu (after installing nVidia driver)

6. Sort Start Menu and Favorites in Alphabetical Order

7. Opens nfo files with Notepad

8. Add "Open Command Prompt Here" to every folder, instead of CMD Shell (looks unprofessional)

9. Enable "show network icon in the notification area when connected"

10. More to report

Edited by owikh84

owikh84 just pointed out another one I've been forgetting--but, again, it's not peculiar to RC8, as far as I can tell: it concerns the setting of a default sound scheme (presuming an add-on, such as the excellent Vista Sounds--yes, I too, am tired of most of XP's sounds)--it seems to come up as a blank scheme, to which you have manually point it to (for instance) the Vista Sound scheme...

@owikh84

3. Use default "Add or Remove Programs" instead of "Software" (looks unprofessional) to the context menu of My Computer
Software is international.
7. Opens nfo files with Notepad

wordpad... notepad don't' read all nfo.

8. Add "Open Command Prompt Here" to every folder, instead of CMD Shell (looks unprofessional)

is toooooooooo looooooong

unprofessional or professional is only for you, not universal... :)

@owikh84

Software is international.

is toooooooooo looooooong

unprofessional or professional is only for you, not universal... :)

Why not let the user type the name. :hello: