best ramdrive for swap space

aurgathor

I'm setting up a PC, and decided that I'll try to turn some of the 1 Gig ram I have into a ramdrive that will be used as a swap space for Win98.

Anyone tried this before? Which ramdrive program did you use, or which one would be the best from the below list:

I strongly suggest to replace primitive ramdrive.sys with Xmsdsk/Emsdsk or SRDisk [scroll further down]:

http://www.mdgx.com/dos.htm#OSR

TIA

With only 1 GB you could just use all of the memory in 98 SE. Make sure you use the Unofficial 98 SE Service Pack 2.1a.

If you want to devote some to a ram disk and place swap file there (a good idea if you have more than 1 GB), then use XMSDSK, also known as furd19i.zip.

Edited by azagahl

Just to note - if you have a bootloader installed such as "EZ-Bios"... loading a ramdisk will cause windows to not load into the GUI.

Been meaning to put time into removing the bloody thing but keep putting it off since I pulled this disk from my older PC. The ramdrive idea works fine on all my other systems that don't have a bootloader installed.

Edited by Chozo4

I don't have anything like EZ-BIOS on any of my HDs -- had it on one a long time ago, but I removed it since it was a constant source of irritation. Which ramdrive do you use?