Free Disk Space -- Free

LS_Dragons

Another XP Setting you can utilize to get back some hard drive space. Iknow -- I know -- hard drives are cheap so sho cares. I guess I do after downloading a couple of full DVD movies with eDonkey. I got a disk close to capacity error - so started searching for some tweaks to get space back. Here are 2:

:mad:

SYSTEM RESTORE -- while a 'somewhat' useful feature, the default setting for system restore takes up 15% of your hard drive space. Reduce it by

Right click on My Computer, select Properties, and select the System Restore tab. Select your main drive (usually C:), click Settings, and move the slider to reserve a more reasonable percentage.

RECYCLE BIN -- Right click on the Recycle Bin, select Properties, and on the Global tab, decide how much space you want the Recycle Bin to consume.

Internet Explorer Cache -- Tools/Internet Options. Under Temporary Internet Files, click the Settings button and select a reasonable size for this cache area. Some rules of thumb: if you have a fast connection, 5 Mbytes to 10 Mbytes is adequate; 25 Mbytes or so is usually enough with a slower dial-up connection

I suppose this post 'could' be moved to tweaks, I will let the mods decide :cool:

LS_Dragons

• 4 weeks later...

You can delete the contents of the dll cache folder (hidden)... It is huge... XP automatically puts stuff back in it whenever you do updates.. Do not delete the folder, only the contents of the folder,

If you do not use System hibernation, you can remove hiberfil.sys (hidden file) by doing the following:

Turn off hibernation(removes hiberfil.sys) Control Panel-Screen Saver Power-Hibernate Tab-uncheck hibernation box-reboot and hiberfil.sys is no more.

You can delete most of Windows Tour...its in Windows/help/Tours

I managed to successfully delete all except for tour.exe in the mmtour folder...XP complained about it..it's protected by the System File Protection component of XP.

You can delete the contents of Re-install backups Folder in System 32 Folder and the associated registry entries if you are sure that you will not need to revert back.. The registry entries take the stuff out of add/remove..... I backup the folders by compressing and backup the registry entries just in case and store them off my HDD...

If you have messed with Bootvis and don't have it anymore, look in Windowssystem32logfiles in there possibly in a subfolder called WMI there is a 40mb logfile associated with Bootvis that didn't get removed when you deleted bootvis.... you can delete that logfile... Sorry, i am not sure what the file's name was, it was awhile back and on another system config....

That's all I can think of for now.......

If anyone uses MS Office XP, see if you have the Interactive Training installed (came on my Dell). This software takes up 260MB! At best, it shoes you how to do what most people already know. If you need it jot down a few notes as you go through it, or copy to a Word doc then delete it.

Also, check your system using Search for .AVI files. It's amazing how many you may find! I also has Image Pro trisal on my pC from Dell which had several of these files at a couple o' Meg each.

If you upgraded form something like ME or Win98, there may be a folder for uninstalling XP and going back to a previous version. By using the disk cleanup, you can find this folder. Mine was over 500Meg! Good Bye!

Here's another good one. I have a teenage daughter. I was checking for disk space and found that she has downloaded 726 Meg of MP3s! Yikes! SO I showed her how to burn them to a CD and away they went!

I think these tips are worthy to be in [b:52d7e7fe4f]Both[/b:52d7e7fe4f] threads at

the same time...I'll take the spanking for your cross-posting, HAHA!

Thanks for this info LS_Dragons...

It was a good read, and we all like learning new stuffs... :-)

take care,

Jackpot