Help me

I have a contract to work on an application written in VB6 for Windows 2000 server & SQLServer 2000 using MTS.

I need to make some minor bug fixes to the version and then port it to .NET and Windows 2003.

The developemt box got lost (don't ask). I have the code but no W2K server to work on.

So I need a copy. Any thoughts on where i can get one. I think a 90 of 180 day evaluation would work for me.

How do I find out if I need w2k server or w2k advanced server?

Do you think I could run it as a virtual machine on a window 2003 server?

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

You could run your applications in a virtual machine. I really see no difference in workload when running an app on Server or Adv. Server. Running your applications on Windows Server 2003 with .NET code should be your primary concern since that's the main goal. The .NET applications won't natively operate on Windows 2000 since it isn't packaged with the .NET framework.

Stuff seems to work better in vmware than on my physical servers for some odd reason, so there's really no substitute for testing than the real thing.

You could run your applications in a virtual machine.
Can you just confirm a stupid question - I do need a w2k license don't I?

Assuming this is the case, and that I need the install disc (iso?) - do you know where I can get hold of one?

... running an app on Server or Adv. Server. ...
Another a stupid question - What's the difference between std server and advanced server?
Running your applications on Windows Server 2003 with .NET code should be your primary concern since that's the main goal. The .NET applications won't natively operate on Windows 2000 since it isn't packaged with the .NET framework.
Totally agree, but I need to have to w2k version running in dev - if for not other reason that a) the client wants it, B) I need it to evaluate.

You do need a license, virtual server or physical hardware, and you won't find any trial downloads from Microsoft for any 2000 OS. If you've got an MSDN subscription you can always use a version from that kit, if you've got a premier support contract with Microsoft you can always pop the question to your account manager, and if you're like most people without either you can grab a quick copy from most online vendors. My personal favorite is buycheapsoftware.com, but any vendor you trust will do:

http://buycheapsoftware.com/ms_products~subcategory~19.asp

And the only real differences between 2000 Standard and Advanced is the amount of memory they support, clustering capabilities, and network load balancing capabilities. If you don't need access to more than 4GB of RAM or an NLB or cluster, you don't need Advanced Server.