[Question] My Dad Won't Leave His PC Alone

hougtimo

Hi,

I have a problem, in that I use my dad's pc occasionally and I have my own account on it. I went to log on the other day, and my account had been disabled. So from the welcome screen I have to CTRL+ALT+DEL and log on as administrator and re set my account. There are also all sorts of group policy settings which place quite heavy restrictions on my account. I am fed u of having to re-create my account everytime I want to use the computer, as when my Dad finds out i have disabled what he has done, he re-does it all. I'm thinking he has got his hands on a reg file to do this for him, however I can't find it anywhere on the PC. What I really need to do is disable his access to the registry - I have disabled acces for him to open regedit, but he can still merge registry files - is there a way I can stop him doing this?

Thanks

HougTimo

if it's your dad's PC and you use it, are you sure he isn't restricting your use rather than you doing it to him and he knows more that you give credit for..............

and no i'm not aware of a way to stop reg keys from being merged other than change the association of .reg to open by default in notepad, it will slow him down for a while

use something like Regshot -Here- to look at what he changes and then make you own reg file to change all you settings back in one hit.

i'm sure there are ways to export/create GPO settings (i'm not sure how - google it). there must be because there is an option to import them. create your own GPO settings file to bring them all in in one go.

if it's your dad's PC and you use it, are you sure he isn't restricting your use rather than you doing it to him and he knows more that you give credit for..............

and no i'm not aware of a way to stop reg keys from being merged other than change the association of .reg to open by default in notepad, it will slow him down for a while

This is exactly the problem! He does know what he is doing, and it is his PC, therefore he thinks he can do what ever he wants with it! ROFL :}

Since it is your dad's PC, he can do whatever he wants to it, including blocking you completely.

I certainly know that if any of my kids tried to modify security settings on one of my PC's it would be the last time they ever used it (or their own for a while too ....)

He may put them there to limit your access, so as to protect you - that is his perogative as a father, and shows a quite responsible attitude, imo.

And i agree 100% with net_user too.

SP

Sounds like he needs to change the admin password and keep you out of it! Since he hasn't, you could create a "hidden account" and use that to do whatever you want. That way he could lock your public account down and you could still login and do what you want on the hidden one.

http://www.petri.co.il/hide_a_user_from_th..._windows_xp.htm

What I find funny is that they keep doing this tit for tat, and yet neither seems to have said a word to the other person about doing it.

What is this, first grade? Act like a grownup and confront him about it if you don't like it. Otherwise, it's his system and I don't see what right you have to go against his intentions on his system.

What I find funny is that they keep doing this tit for tat, and yet neither seems to have said a word to the other person about doing it.

Like ennemies during war ? :}

hougtimo, set a password in the bios, and then tell your dad he should pay you each time he wants to use his PC, or let you do what you want with it...

it may really work !

++

Like enemies during war ? :}

hougtimo, set a password in the bios, and then tell your dad he should pay you each time he wants to use his PC, or let you do what you want with it...

it may really work !

Uh, the relationship between a father and son is much different than Bush VS Bin Laden...

Also, telling this guy to put a BIOS password and make his father pay him to use his own PC is stupid. If someone did that to me, I know how I'd feel...

Uh, the relationship between a father and son is much different than Bush VS Bin Laden...

Also, telling this guy to put a BIOS password and make his father pay him to use his own PC is stupid. If someone did that to me, I know how I'd feel...

Open your windows and look at the nature...

When there is too much electricity in the air, the storm explodes, and then birds sings.

I were only saying him how he can reach the peak level :)

Well... :whistle:

/me is leaving this thread surreptitiously (<-- automated translation, sorry)

Edited by Delprat

He is your dad man!!

Go and talk to him , if its the only comp. in the house , he would certainly let you use it.

If there are other comps. maybe he wants to restrict access to that comp since it is his personal and confidential.

When there is too much electricity in the air, the storm explodes, and then birds sings.

I were only saying him how he can reach the peak level :)

Well... :whistle:

I'm debating to myself whether or not being confused at this point is a good or bad thing.

(Delprat @ May 16 2006, 10:14 AM) *

I were only saying him how he can reach the peak level smile.gif

Well... whistling.gif

I'm debating to myself whether or not being confused at this point is a good or bad thing.

LOL

Edited by oioldman