IEAccess=Off in Winnt.sif (W2K) doesn't Work

Jackrip5

Hi !

I'm using HFSLIP for my Windows 2000 German Unattended Install here in the Office.

My unattended Install works good and the Hotfixes, IE6, .. integration works fine.

In My WINNT.SIF i use

[Components]

IEAccess=Off

This with the objective to remove all IE Shortcuts from the system (not the IE himself but only the shortcuts). I'd like my PC Users only to use the Firefox.

The IE Icons are created automatically by first User Login. Using a Batch file to remove the Shortcuts (from desktop, quicklaunch or Startmenu) with a batch File does not seem to work.

Any Hint ?

This was a non-problem problem at one time with HFSLIP. I haven't seen this since last year. All works fine with my system as far as my winnt.sif file goes. I use the winnt.sif file and a regedit to disable some IE desktop stuff. Works great.

BTW, why not just create all your users on the single pc, login to each acct and delete the icons?

THX for the answer. That's exactly what i do actually but i thought if it was already disabled "by default" it would habe been easier for me.

I've read that the position of several entries in the winnt.sif file himself is important (some could be ignored during install). Could it be something like that ?

you could try deleting these 2 keys

HKCR,"CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}" ; IE icon in registry

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{871C5380-42A0-1069-A2EA-08002B30309D}"

back them up first but that should remove that icon. unless ms has changed something again with a cumulative ie hotfix.

I dont know if you can do this from the setup cd. but on an ntfs drive you can set security permissions to not allow access to \program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe thats what i do on my 2k and xp systems to force people to use firefox ;) lol

Thanks for your replies.

The thing with the registry key does'nt seem to work (i already tried in the past).

The hint with the restriction of the folder himself is a good idea, but i managed it another way.

During the unattended install of applications (with runoncex.bat, or Xlode, or other method), i included the following application to start :

SYSOCMGR.EXE /i:%windir%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:c:\temp\temp.txt

In the C:\TEMP folder my temp.txt file contains following :

[Components]
IEAccess = Off
OEAccess = Off
Accessopt = Off
Freecell = Off
Minesweeper = Off
Mswordpad = Off
Pinball = Off
Solitaire = Off

At the first moment i didn't see a difference but if a new user logs in, these Icons are indeed disappeart.

For the moment, i just have what i needed.

Thx 2 @ll :)