DSL Speed Problem!

Hey Guys,

I have DSL and my total speed is 1.2mbps. My question is when ever I am downloading anything, the highest speed I get is 155kb/sec. What the hell is going on. :no::angry:

If anybody knows of ways and tweaks for me to increase my DL Speed, Please share your wise wisdom with me. I wil be even happy if I can reach my DL speed at 500kb/sec. :D

So please if someday can tell me how I can increase mt DL speed, I would be really Thankful!

P.S. Fusion :lol::lol:

Keep in mind that broadband speeds are rated in megaBITS. Download speeds are commonly rated in kiloBYTES.

1.2 megabits = 1200 kilobits when used by salespeople and swindlers. :) 1.2 megabits is actually equal to 1228.8 kilobits, but don't tell that to the likes of Western Digital or Seagate. They haven't used the real binary definitions ever.

Dividing 1200 kilobits by 8 bits per byte yields 150 kilobytes per second, theoretical. Expecting speeds at 80% of that and you're very lucky to be getting the speeds that you are.

To achieve 500 kilobytes per second you'll need a DSL downstream rated at least 4 megabits per second. Theoretical, of course.

Common notation for bit is a lower-case b. Common notation for byte is an upper-case B. 1.2Mb/s and 150KB/s, respectively. These numbers look very different, but they mean exactly the same thing.

Edited by 5eraph

Don't forget that you TYPICALLY have a 13-18 percent overhead also which downgrades your overall speed. Your speed also has to rely on the line condition of you phoneline within your house. Last year I was getting some really eratic speeds during the summer. I pay a small monthly fee for my phone company to repair anything phoneline wise within my house. They came out and found that we had the starting of a yellow jackets nest that was interfering just enough with the line to disrupt DSL but not standard voice. Your performance is also based on how far away the TELCO switch is also. One site I go to to check my speeds regularly is DSL Reports. They have a great forum and a few tools to hep optimize your DSL. Doctor TCP is one I use and have had good results with it.

DSL Report Website

http://www.dslreports.com/tools

jd

By theoretical I meant: If your ISP used absolutely pure fiberoptic cable, superconducting wire, equipment that uses quantum-atomic processors, zero-length packet headers, no other traffic on the intarweb, and all that. :lol:

03GrandAmGT actually explains the real-world conditions quite well.

So... if you're really wanting consistent 500KB/s download speeds you'll need a 4.72Mb/s downstream here in the real world. :whistle:

Edited by 5eraph

Dividing 1200 kilobits by 8 bits per byte yields 150 kilobytes per second, theoretical. Expecting speeds at 80% of that and you're very lucky to be getting the speeds that you are.

Guys

Thank You Very Much for clearning up this Speed mess for me. After reading all your guys replys, I understand that I am all ready hitting my Max speed. So pretty musch If I want more DL speed, I have to get more Speed. 3-4MB.

Thx Again!

Hey Guys

I upgraded my DSL Speed which is 1.5-3.0mbps and I just did a test at dslreports and this is my result.

What is guys think? Good, Bad or OK

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-05-24 15:48:03 EST:

2471 / 424

Your download speed : 2471 kbps or 308.9 KB/sec.

That is 8.3% better than an average user on pacbell.net

Your upload speed : 424 kbps or 53 KB/sec.

That is 3.6% better than an average user on pacbell.net

THX!