Differences between MCE and XP Pro

Hi.

I've been trying to decide whether or not to move from XP Pro to MCE for my main OS.

I currently have both on a dual-boot, but I've been wondering what differences they have, despite the obvious Media Center in MCE.

What are the limits (if any) that MCE has compared to XP Pro?

AFAIK connecting to a domain is the only thing Media Center Edition can't that Professional can. For the rest it has off-cource the Media Center, parts of the Plus! expansion pack and some powertoys.

and media center runs a lot faster, but why cant it connect to a domain?

Althought it's build on XP Pro, Media Center Edition is an enhancement for Windows XP Home Editio and is for home users,Not for Bussiness Users....

OK, from what I've read here, it sounds like more of the XP Home vs XP Pro.

Connecting to a Domain ain't an issue here, just as long as workgroups are still fine.

My main reason is because I got myself an Xbox 360 and I'm getting sick of having to dual-boot between Pro and MCE, all I wanted to know would there be any limitations to software installs etc.

and media center runs a lot faster, but why cant it connect to a domain?

In order to support extenders Fast User Switching must be enabled. Fast User Switching cannot be enabled for computers that are members of a domain.

If you upgrade from MCE 2004 or set the registry value that says you upgraded, you will be able to join a domain but will not be able to use extenders when you are joined to a domain.

You can also join a doimain during Windows Setup before the OS is converted to MCE.

In order to support extenders Fast User Switching must be enabled. Fast User Switching cannot be enabled for computers that are members of a domain.

If you upgrade from MCE 2004 or set the registry value that says you upgraded, you will be able to join a domain but will not be able to use extenders when you are joined to a domain.

You can also join a doimain during Windows Setup before the OS is converted to MCE.

Would you share those registry entries with me please? :)

Would you share those registry entries with me please? :)

OK, here it is:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\MedCtrUpg]
"IsLegacyMCE"=dword:00000001

Please note that this is a protected key so you will have to use another installation of Windows to change it.

Looking at the price difference (MCE2005: 99 EUR/122 USD vs Pro: 129 EUR/158 USD) you may accept the inconvenience of the missing group policy editor and the centralized management - as long as you can help yourself with some registry tweaks. :yes: