What's the largest file you have downloaded using dial-up

citizeneman

Hi everyone,

The largest file I've ever downloaded is 57 megs. Star Office 5.1. Six hours and 45 minutes with a 33.6 modem. It was broken up in 6 or 7 parts by the site offering it.

You guys (and ladies) that downloaded larger files than that truly have the patience of a saint! I am impressed!

REMEMBER: 1. Preserve Nature. 2. Always wear a helmet.

3. Ride safely. 4. Read owners manual carefully before riding.

• 5 years later...

LOL at this thread. :)

Mine was Internet Explorer 6 which was 76 MB. I was asleep so I don't know how long it took, probably all night! I've tried larger files, but it always gets disconnected.

Connected for 8 days? Jumpin' Jehoshaphat!!!

Leaving my connection going for one night, while I'm asleep, is my limit. Other people need the computer, so I can't hog it for 8 days. I might try one of those download managers to see whether or not I can successfully download Linux ISOs.

My largest was a Knoppix Live CD, not sure of the exact size. Ran Star Downloader at night for about a week. Was also using CallWave at the time so there was no problems with missing phone calls. The dialup service I used at the time was fairly fast but would only allow you to remain connected for one hour, after which you had to connect again. With that service, Star Downloader was a life saver.

96 Mb rar archive with music album. It took about 6 hours. That time I had a good dial-up - 5.3 Kb/sec - about 20 Mb / hour. As for now - dial-up is disappearing. Fortunately, we have cheap internet access in Ukraine, and there are many cable providers in my city. Now there are only 2 dial-up providers here and dial-up speed is only 3 Kb/sec at max.

I'm using Download Master since that old days (early 2000s).

Edited by M()zart

I remember upgrading Ubuntu 5.04 to 5.10 with dial-up. It took about 700MB distributed along a few weekends (at least here in Brazil, phone calls pay a flat rate on weekends, otherwise it is a small amount/minute - I don't remember how much, as I now use my landline only for ADSL).

I also downloaded quite a few Linux ISOs and a good amount of music with dial-up.

• 2 weeks later...

96 Mb rar archive with music album. It took about 6 hours. That time I had a good dial-up - 5.3 Kb/sec

The last time I had 56K, was spring, 2007! 43kbps=5.3 KB/s and 44 kbps=5.5 KB/s was typical here in Vermont during my final year of 56K, so my modem and telephone line was healthy! Hooray!

Back in 2005 and 2006, the largest file, was probably a Linux ISO!

Probably Ubuntu "Hoary", that was probably in summer, 2005!

Then on May 17, 2007, I got ADSL that easily did 3.2 Mbps.

Today, with the same ADSL ISP, in Springfield, I'm at 12 Mbps! I was lucky to get 5 Mbps in Cavendish.

I moved to Springfield on March 5, 2008.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP