I have an idea for xpize 64bit support

Francesco

I've found out a nice command-line resource editor called restuner console. If only xpize could detect if that program is installed and use it to apply resource patches to 64bit xp it would be great...

i realy dont think that is actualy the prob as any 32bit apps wil perfectly run on a 64bit windows xp install,

but i do think there might be a prob with the resources,

because the may have swaped locations,

as for all i know the logon resourse (for example) may now even be in the winboot.dll or whatever.

so in the end its juist taking al the resources *.res files,

and looking for thair equives, (if not on default location),

and after that create either a batch file or maybe a realy simple installer.

to do the trick.

but the q that pops me to mind is whether there is a reference lis with all the resources

+ filenames + file locations

Edited by -I-

i realy dont think that is actualy the prob as any 32bit apps wil perfectly run on a 64bit windows xp install,

but i do think there might be a prob with the resources,

because the may have swaped locations,

as for all i know the logon resourse (for example) may now even be in the winboot.dll or whatever.

so in the end its juist taking al the resources *.res files,

and looking for thair equives, (if not on default location),

and after that create either a batch file or maybe a realy simple installer.

to do the trick.

but the q that pops me to mind is whether there is a reference lis with all the resources

+ filenames + file locations

No i don't think so xp 64bit should just be a 64bit recompile of windows 2003 so the resources shouldn't have changed location.

well as par this page:

http://www.restuner.com/tour-resource-tuner-console.htm

for the lazy:

Price: US$199 for the Single Developer License

i dont think xpero would spend $200 for 64bit support.

Or if you guys are really wanting 64bit, donate the money to XPero ;) I'm sure he'd do it then. But I think he'll have the problem that resource tuner can't be mass-distributed, due to the license, although I could be wrong...

This is why I said that xpize should just detect and use it: it will be up to the user to install the shareware version from the website...

Edited by Francesco

lets look on google and some of the mayor OSS repo's

im quite sure restuner is NOT the only commandline resource hacker that support 64bit...

will update this post as soon as i either find a free or opensource editor for x64...

lets look on google and some of the mayor OSS repo's

im quite sure restuner is NOT the only commandline resource hacker that support 64bit...

will update this post as soon as i either find a free or opensource editor for x64...

I've searched google but unfortunately I managed to find only that one :(

There are some windows apis to insert, replace and remove stuff from resources so technically any vc++ developer should be able to make a 64bit resource replacer... but strangely it looks like nobody has made freeware command-line utilities for that :(

hmmz ill have a look at it later but if ms has the api's we might just ask for it in the dev forum LOL - after all its for MSFN project right?

btw what is xpize using now than?????

hmmz ill have a look at it later but if ms has the api's we might just ask for it in the dev forum LOL - after all its for MSFN project right?

btw what is xpize using now than?????

It's using reshacker that unfortunately supports only 32bit resources...

I would make the application myself if only I was running xp 64bit... unfortunately I miss some important 64bit drivers for my hardware so i'm waiting for them to be released before installing 64bit xp.

I would make the application myself if only I was running xp 64bit

can you??? - cuz it would be briliant (even if it would take some time, befor you could start, (for whatever reason)),

Right now I can't since I would need to use 64bit xp to debug the program unfortunately I can't format until pinnacle and asrock release 64bit drivers for my s.ata2 controller and tv card :(

if that doesn't happen befor i get my new computer, (hopefully sometime this week), ill let you use mine, to debug, if i dont have the same probs, that is...

@ Francesco and all:

Your first idea isnt bad at all. I will try to investigate that method, but how if I dont have the money to purchase it? :P Also, if I buy a Restuner license to be used inside XPize, I have my doubts if that would be legal (potential redistribution problems).

You said you are able to develop a similar app. That would be the perfect solution and will make me and many 64 bit Windows users very happy. I would not doubt in donating you for this.