mystery in a half shell

I have a huge mystrey on my hands after my recent nlited xp install was completed. I used the newest ryans update pack (RVMUpdatePack 2.0.5) on it and when i get into my system everything is perfect except when i go to run and hit browse explorer crashes. When i go to save as in most apps explorer crashes causing the app to crash also.

The only real change i have made to the install is ryans pack so whats with his recent pack and causing explorer to crash?

Has anyone else had this problem?

PLEASE HELP

Edited by Madhits45

Have you tried creating a unattended with all your options and tweaks except Ryan update pack and testing it on a Virtual Machine to make sure it is actually the update pack that is causing this???

... Try it again!

Make sure sp2 is slipstreamed before ryan's update pack. If this happened in a virtual machine, try replacing %windir%\explorer.exe into your virtual machine. If this works, makecab explorer and replace it into your i386 dir.

If you don't use a virtual machine, even if its only ryan's update pack, use one!

Thanks for the ideas. Here is what I have tried and what has not work.

This is super strange. Everything has the same result. This has to be something really dumb.

Ryan suggested that I add on his pack 2.0.5 with his own update utility. So I did that and then used nlite to cut it back down. What I have been using are the same base slipstreamed sp2 files for a really long time & they have been working fine. The only thing that fits is the update pack and inparticular its 2.0.5.

I used straight nlite 1.0 rc7 to add ryans pack orginally this is how i found the problem.

I have edited copies of explorer.exe, shell32.dll, and the new hacked sfc_os.dll file. all updated to the newest versions available. These files are added into the install but i even thought that possiblely they could be causing the problem so I took them out and the problem is still there.

None of this happened with update pack 2.0.4 of ryans pack which I deleted and cant download again. I would really like to test it with that pack again to see if I could absolutedly confirm its not the updates. Does anyone have that pack? That would solve my problem.

However my conclusion right now is that it has to be one of the updates tied to this most recent update ms did.

Has anyone had this problem? Can anyone provide update pack 2.04...

THANKS

Edited by Madhits45

:no:

You use nlite BEFORE the update pack and use HIS integrator to... well integrate.

Wait wont the update add files back in that perhaps you removed with nlite? I figured that would happen and did it that way. I'll try it the other way and see if that fixes it.

In the mean time does anyone have update pack 2.0.4?

Thanks for the idea..

You know, the directions on my site specifically say that you can NOT integrate the pack over a previously-nLited install. I strongly suggest you read the directions more carefully before continuing any further.

Do not do a manual integration over a previously-nLited installation source!

Ryan.. Actually i have tried it everyway now. Nlited then integrated did that tonite. Then I also tried integrate then nlited. Only thing I have not tried is no nlite but thats not gonna work I would not have room to add any of my apps and the install would run all slow like before I discovered msfn & nlite.

I have been using the same core/base SP2 XP files for a while. These were integrated way back when service pack 2 came out and done with the manual integration not nlite. I have done countless installs with them and they have been working great so I know the problem is not there. It must be with something after.

If I can get a copy of the last version I know I can confirm it is or is not the update.

Thanks

Hey Ryan, you are right cos loads of files were missing on a test nlite source with update pack.

But it seems to work nliting it after update pack integration, so that's strange...

I believe I discovered the problem with my install. I have found a corrupt xp file in my install. Looking for more but I believe this is the problem. Once I do a full check i think I have fixed this strange issue.

Thanks for all your help.

Uhh, maybe your source is bad? Just a thought, try recreating the UI with a fresh source. Copying a bad explorer.exe leaves you with a bad explorer.exe. Nlite won't tell you if your files a good or bad. Sounds like a pain but I've run into a similar situation and it was a bad source not the driver paks.

The problem is still there the file I found had nothing to do with the install process or running windows it seems. I have completely remade my source files and re-integrated sp2 onto them and its still there. I am at a total loss as to why this is happening it can be only 1 of 2 things. Either the update pack or nlite. However i have had the same settings in nlite since version 1.0 RC1 with minor changes that I already tried switching back. It does work with update pack 2.0.4 and without update pack 2.0.5

If anyone has any ideas I'm still open to suggestions.

Thanks again

Edited by Madhits45

ALWAYS use nLite BEFORE the update pack.

The update pack is the last thing you do.

Even though on Ryan's website it says not to use nlite on update pack cds, it works for me.