Editing DSN lookups

Hello,

I need help. I want to disable gmail chat in a network, under a DNS server. I found these directions on the gmail help center, but I'm clueless of DNS server editing. How/where do I block DNS lookups?

"I am a network administrator, and need to disable Gmail's chat features on my network.

We understand that it's sometimes necessary to disable instant messaging services on a network. If you need to prevent Gmail users on your network from chatting, we suggest blocking DNS lookups to chatenabled.mail.google.com, by returning 127.0.0.1."

Any replies are appreciated!

Edited by 1boredguy

I think you need a 'static' entry on the Forward Lookup Zone so that the domain name ( chatenabled.mail.google.com ) gets resolved to 127.0.0.1.

I created a new Zone. Does it matter if it's primary or active directory-integrated?

I just left the zone blank. It seems to work just like that, the chat feature doesn't load.

Well, if it worked, great. I suggest Active Directory Integrated Zone. If you have the DNS server also as a DC, do it.

Thanks, very cool! If I want to return 127.0.0.1, then where do I do that?

If I get the "properties" of the zone, I see the tabs: General, State of Authority, Name Servers, WINS, Zone Transfers.

Hello,

I need help. I want to disable gmail chat in a network, under a DNS server. I found these directions on the gmail help center, but I'm clueless of DNS server editing. How/where do I block DNS lookups?

"I am a network administrator, and need to disable Gmail's chat features on my network.

We understand that it's sometimes necessary to disable instant messaging services on a network. If you need to prevent Gmail users on your network from chatting, we suggest blocking DNS lookups to chatenabled.mail.google.com, by returning 127.0.0.1."

Any replies are appreciated!

I dunno about that, because if people know the IP address, then they can get around that!!

Ultimately, the only "sure-fire" way to block traffic anywhere is to use a proxy and funnel all traffic through it. DNS bloking will work for DNS names, but someone connecting to the IP address will bypass. However, if you don't have a proxy in place, the DNS blocking should work for most users, at least for a good while.

I'd still ultimately suggest a proxy to do things like this, but the DNS workaround will work.