Customize Classic/Domain Login

Forgive the basicness of this question, but this is my first time working with this concept.

My company has inherited three computers (standard PCs, running Windows XP Pro, connected to W2K3 Domain).

The previous owner has done something really neat, something I may consider doing myself, but for now I have to get rid of it. They have put a custom graphic in the "Welcome" screen.

Explanation:

When you power up a 'regular' Windows XP PC, you get the 'Welcome to Windows' screen up, asking you to press 'Ctrl-Alt-Del'. I will do my best to represent it here:

(imagine this is pretty and colourful):

----------------------------------------

Welcome to Windows

Windows XP Professional

Copyright

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del

Now, on these computers, you get this:

Welcome to Windows

(CUSTOM COMPANY GRAPHIC WITH LOGO

AND COMPANY NAME)

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del

I have seen a lot of answers talking about changing the splash screen, or the Windows welcome screen. None of those apply. I don't think this is a 'wallpaper' issue.

Any idea as to how this was done, and ideas on how to change it?

I am guessing it is a registry thing, or some custom util.

Thanks,

TN

have just been playing and all ok.

But, have changed some of the dialog messages, but they don't seem to have taken affect, do i need do more to activate this??

Edited by oioldman

funny that because saving the file never crossed my mind and i wondered why any work i ever did was never seen again.

Any body actually able to help, though sarcastic comments are also welcome.

looking at the file i notice that there are TWO (2) folders that contain text string details - which ones are the ones that actually appear to be used

• 3 weeks later...

use resource hacker to edit msgina.dll

you will have to go into safe mode and replace the file in c:\windows\system32\ and c:\windows\system32\dllcache\

(and if there is a folder with the windows install files on your hard drive, rename it)

/BOOTLOGO

Use this switch to have Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 display an installable splash screen instead of the standard splash screen. First, create a 16-color (any 16 colors) 640x480 bitmap and save it in the Windows directory with the name Boot.bmp. Then add "/bootlogo /noguiboot" to the boot.ini selection.

• 9 months later...

@Tony:

For now, if all you want to do is get rid of it, I suggest you take a look at the registry under the following location:

HKLM/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/Winlogon. In there, look for "ginaDLL". If it's there, delete it. What that does is specifies a custom GINA, which is the file that contains that image that usually says Windows XP, but now says something different. Deleting that will tell Windows to use the normal, regular GINA. Chances are the previous owner made a custom GINA with their image, and if they did it the "right" way, used that registry tweak, rather than overwriting the original file. If they did overwrite the original file, you've got a bit more of a problem.