Stop it…

Yzöwl

The demands/wishes in this thread are far apart so it's impossible to please everyone. I don't think the next version will be a "basic" version but it won't have all the bells n' whistles of the current versions either. Some features/enhancements will be removed, among which the possibility to have EXPAND.EXE in a different location, the section that creates the short KB titles you see flash by as hotfixes are processed, and the new backup routines. The current internal build also handles the Service Pack from the HF folder so the HFSPACK folder can be removed.

I'd like at least one version that has the bells 'n and whistles. I know you said it's imposssible to please everyone. I like the short KB titles though. Besides, that only takes a few lines of script.

I understand that TommyP/Yzowl want less-bloated versions. But creating plug-in files like HFSPLUG1.cmd kind of splits the whole project apart. I prefer having everything in one file. You still have to update something, don't you?

Oh, and the answer file? Processing it only takes one line in the script. Yes, you have to add things like IF NOT DEFINED * (*) for the intro section, but doing so will enable more flexibility with the script.

Just my humble opinion...:)

Edited by Super-Magician

I am a knuckle-dragger and it sounds to me like all of these ideas being tossed around are more complex than the single sciprt as it currently exists. Does it HAVE to change? I like it the way it is, and the answer file is an awesome idea.

And isn't it easier for the devs to keep a single script updated than to make multiple updates for multiple versions?

Here's what I see as a "base" HFSLIP, with rationale.

service pack slipstreaming - an HFSLIP must

hotfix integration - this is what HFSLIP is all about

ie6 integration - an HFSLIP exclusive

You forgot one:

ie disintegration into a pile of smoking ash and vapors - my personal favorite

:thumbup

I asked the thread-starter an important Q yesterday. I eagerly await his reply.

For the records, TC and I are rapidly comparing notes, optimizing, tweaking, and things are looking good. After seeing the love that was put in, I can't see why to remove anything, well some things will be removed anyway.... stay tuned.

/me stays... btw: thanx for HFSLIP_60510b !

edit: tc: I was scared by the version where you cutted all other things then hotfixslipstreaming.

better freeze something then cutting huge parts away!

Edited by murvun

IMHO Xpize and other shell mods do not belong in hfslip.

If I DID want to use that, I could do it on my own - and since the

last time I tried it (xpize) on a system it was flakey, AND since all

the projects to make 2k like XP are in a mutating-beta state, it

seems wrong to add it. Like attaching a chain to another ship that

sinking (you both go down). HFSLIP is great, flexablity is great, but there has to be a point where you stop the madness.

btw I use a SP4 core USP'd with Gurglemeyers pkg, then modded to add several utilities, then HF-slipped with latest updates and drivers.

WORKS LIKE A CHARM!

Squeeto - that's an internal build, and he's referring to the HFSPACK folder, which is for service packs.

You, I believe, are thinking of the HFSVCPACK folder, which is for switchless installers and CMD/INF/REG files.

Edited by Super-Magician

Yikes, you are right. But I was thinking of another even yet, HFSVPK.

hi squeeto, as Super-Magician already mentioned, i'd just like to outline the ff for better view (this is actually from the source :))

FDVFILES - FDV'S Fileset (W2K only)

FIX - WINNT.SIF, Boot Files, See instructions

HF - Non-renamed hotfix and critical updates files

HFCABS - Cabinet Files: IE6 (2k Only), DX9, LegitCheckControl

HFSPACK - The Service Pack installer.

HFSVCPACK - Switchless installers (Installed at T-13), REG files (Import your settings at T-13), INF files and CMD files (To be processed at T-13)

HFSVCPACK_SW - Installers that need a /Q:A /R:N switch (Installed at T-13)

HFTOOLS - HFSLIP Tools, MSICabExtract tool. (See directions for download link), modifype.exe, ISOconf.txt (custom ISO creation), expand.exe (orig. MS version if one in SYSTEM32 is replaced)

SOURCE - Dump your installation CD source here

HFSVPK and HFSVPK_SW are now called HFSVCPACK and HFSVCPACK_SW respectively. Should HFSPACK be renamed too?

How does HFSLIP.LOG sound instead of ERROR_REPORT.TXT?

Approval already given for the hfsvcpack. Don't worry if they are too lengthy. For us old timers that have been using hfslip since it's inception, the script will automagically change the foldernames to this new scheme.

the instructions though from http://www.vorck.com/hfslip.html does the slipstreaming of SP2 manually

hope this clarifies sir! :)

as for what this thread's all about ... i personally believe that HFSLIP holds so much promise & power that numerous additions are being put into it ... HFSLIP accomodates much that many users (new & even the senior members of MSFN from different forums) are getting into it (or at least checking it out) ... i for one though just like what i've mentioned in my previous posts would like to have everything done the HFSLIP way (w/o having to use other apps to refine it or reduce the source) ...

i do not want to even post in this topic for fear of being criticized for doing so - as this seems to be a gathering of senior members ;o - but i am very thankful to have found HFSLIP after searching for a long time as to which program would address my needs

HFSLIP is truly GREAT!

however which way HFSLIP threads its developments ... i will always be here to support it ...

(as an aside, in fact the very 1st website i go to whenever i get my hands on the net is MSFN\HFSLIP ;))

Tomcat, don't you find it a bit taxing to produce 2 vers? :)

Edited by Kiki Burgh