[Question] Ultimate Slipstreamed WinXP

leoleo

I love this site and learned a lot of tricks to slipstream WinXP. :thumbup

However, I found that for non-service pack update, the update files won't be embedded directly into windows source cab files. They just copy itself and run at later stage (~87%?) of installation. Is it possible to extract those update files and add directly into the source cab? It can save the installation time and valuable disc space.

I am sorry if this problem has been thoroughly discussed before :whistle:

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

--Sonic

Edited by Sonic

I love this site and learned a lot of tricks to slipstream WinXP. :thumbup

However, I found that for non-service pack update, the update files won't be embedded directly into windows source cab files. They just copy itself and run at later stage (~87%?) of installation. Is it possible to extract those update files and add directly into the source cab? It can save the installation time and valuable disc space.

I am sorry if this problem has been thoroughly discussed before :whistle:

nLite can do that job for you.

Check out RyanVM's pack and the integrator that comes along with it. I've always used this method and it's not much bigger than an unpatched install source (maybe a couple of megs).

Nice! However, I am a SP1 lover

Anyone has the Post-SP1 Update Pack for nLite/RyanVM?

It seems that HFSLIP will recab the SP/hotfixes.

Maybe HFSLIP is my only possible choice.

There isn't much reason not to use SP2. There's no speed hit once you've disabled the services that you don't want/need, and there's much more security in place compared to SP1.

Go with the flow - update to SP2 and use the RyanVM pack. :)

leoleo,

What are you wanting to do with this slipstreamed version of windows?

SP1 will not be supported by M$ and falls way short of being a secure OS.

To repair many problems with SP1 and greatly increase system security,

SP2 is a must.

Andromeda43 B)

I agree...in fact until SP2 I was a big promoter of Win2000. At first SP2 had some issues, but it's pretty much smooth sailing now, and definatly the best OS microsoft has released (IMO). From my experience it is faster and has much less bugs than pre-SP2 installs of Windows XP.

SP2 does seem to work the best when integrated with a fresh installation, as opposed to being run as an update though, again, based on my experiences.

The improvement of security in SP2 causes problems when using memory patching warez like some loader.

Also, I had bad experience with SP2 in the past (I tried slipstreamed WinXP Pro called SuperXP 7.1 and clean old WinXP + webupdate to SP2). It drags down my computer. The security centre just eats up my valuable computer resources and completely useless. It also creates abnormal delay when running apps. Some old apps no longer run and crash. I feel my computer gives better performance, stability and hacking ability when using SP1 + Hotfixes.

I don't know if the story has changed. But I think I will keep sticking to SP1.

No discussion about warez here. Final warning. You are not supposed to "try a version of XP" that you haven't bought.

If you don't like the security centre, then disable it!

Like TheFlash said, slipstreaming SP2 will cause the least amount of headaches.

AFAIK - there's no "SuperXP" available for download from Microsoft's website.

I realize that there are certain trials on the Microsoft Website, but then again, most people don't know about them and I"m guessing close to 99% of downloaded versions of XP are illegitimate.