Bloody Automatic Updates

Hi guys,

This problem is doing my head in. Environment is Server 2003, XP clients with all the latest patches, service packs and updates. At present I have automatic updates scheduled from the WSUS server and have specified for this to happen Monday nights weekly ONLY at 9pm with no automatic restarts.

As the title suggests, the **** computers keep restarting unexpectadly during paying user sessions. The machines are withing a public library. This causes issues as sessions are timed and as you can imagine, waiting for a machine to restart as well as losing all unsaved work is proving quite frustrating!

Below is a screen shot of the Automatic Updates Group Policy settings on the server.

groupPOL.gif

Have I missed something here? Ive checked the clients within Automatic Updates and they all say scheduled for Mondays 9PM (grey shaded) It even says in the event viewer that updates have been downloaded and are scheduled to install Monday 9PM - but the bloody things seem to restart whenever they feel like it!

Please help!

John

Are you sure its automatic updates that is rebooting them?

"Random" or "Unexpected" reboots always makes me think malware of some sort.

Either that or maybe "Allow Automatic Updates Immediate Installation" bypasses your schedule for 'critical' hotfixes. Although even if thats the case you'd probably only notice on patch tuesdays instead of 'random'.

on one of the machines that restarts you should check its registry (i cannot remember where exactly) for the intranet update location just to make sure its pointing to your wsus server (and subsequently having GP applied correctly), if it is check the event logs on the machine and see what if you can get from there. good luck :)

Edited by eyeball