HOWTO: Integrate Apr WGA!

Here's how to integrate the new April WGA (and probably future versions).

1) install windows xp sp2 on a clean machine (or a virtual machine)

2) install windows update agent on the clean xp sp2 install

3) access windows update, click on one of the 2 button (rapid or custom)

4) wait windows update to ask you to install the new windows update version

5) click on the double-arrows button to see if it only shows the wga fix (I don't remember the kb num right now)

6) start installing it but WHEN the download completes and the "Installing blabla ..." message shows press the Cancel button immediately.

7) Open c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution folder and search for the *Legit*.dll file

8) Copy the directory that contain that file somewhere else

9) That directory will contain the wga april hotfix that you can integrate or you can use it to create a sfx that will run "update\update.exe /passive" after extraction.

If you want you can replace the legitcheckcontrol.dll with a "customized" version just make sure modifype has been run on it...

Edited by Francesco

As long as I could see unless you have the wga .cat installed it will continue to complain unless you install the hotfix that I explained how to get. Maybe the wga notifications install that .cat too however I didn't try integrating it yet

thanks Francesco for sharing this tip, i'm going to try it right now.

super-magician, why would we care about your unrelated KB, it's not required for windows update and from what i hear is quite an annoyance.

it's generally considered bad practice to install extra things you don't need.

**** I'm trying to integrate microsoft update too but as long as I could see all the installation process is made via web, it only downloads an activex package to start the installation and then nothing more. I wonder what does it use to create the shortcuts&c.

super-magician, why would we care about your unrelated KB, it's not required for windows update and from what i hear is quite an annoyance.

What do you mean 'unrelated'?? Both of these WGA updates are listed by Windows Update as 'critical'. I understand that WGA Notifications isn't "required" for Windows Update to function, but eventually, Microsoft will force you to install it on your computer.
I'm trying to integrate microsoft update too but as long as I could see all the installation process is made via web, it only downloads an activex package to start the installation and then nothing more. I wonder what does it use to create the shortcuts&c.

I have already been able to integrate Microsoft Update. Download the MUWEB CAB file from Microsoft. It contains the DLL file required for Microsoft Update. For integration into Windows, you must also import a datastore.ebd file. This has been placed in the attached SFX file.

For more information, see here.

DataStore.exe

Edited by Super-Magician

What do you mean 'unrelated'?? Both of these WGA updates are listed by Windows Update as 'critical'. I understand that WGA Notifications isn't "required" for Windows Update to function, but eventually, Microsoft will force you to install it on your computer.

I'm trying to integrate microsoft update too but as long as I could see all the installation process is made via web, it only downloads an activex package to start the installation and then nothing more. I wonder what does it use to create the shortcuts&c.
I have already been able to integrate Microsoft Update. Download the MUWEB CAB file from Microsoft. It contains the DLL file required for Microsoft Update. For integration into Windows, you must also import a datastore.ebd file. This has been placed in the attached SFX file.

For more information, see here.

I did already manage to find out that I needed to register the muweb_site activex however that is not enough since I have still to go through microsoft update website to have automatic updates point at that website instead of windows update :(

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...lt.aspx?muopt=6 automatically configures microsoft update without welcome screens: it seems that it's invoking UpdateClient() method on the activex microsoftupdatewebcontrol object to configure everything however I still haven't managed to make a script that does the same job yet :(

Edited by Francesco

You can install WGA via SVCPack.inf if you add this to your registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WGA\SP0\WGA]
"InstalledBy"="Administrator"
"InstalledDate"="03/02/2006"
"Type"="Update"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WGA\SP0\WGA\Filelist\0]
"BuildCheckSum"="95b21"
"BuildDate"="Tue Feb 14 05:02:38 2006"
"FileName"="LegitCheckControl.dll"
"Location"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32"
"Version"="1.5.512.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ext\CLSID]
"{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}"="1"

The registry entries are courtesy of RyanVM

To install WGA Notification, I was only able to install it properly via RunOnceEx

Edited by Gee

You can install WGA via SVCPack.inf if you add this to your registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}]
"Compatibility Flags"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WGA\SP0\WGA]
"InstalledBy"="Administrator"
"InstalledDate"="03/02/2006"
"Type"="Update"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Updates\WGA\SP0\WGA\Filelist\0]
"BuildCheckSum"="95b21"
"BuildDate"="Tue Feb 14 05:02:38 2006"
"FileName"="LegitCheckControl.dll"
"Location"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32"
"Version"="1.5.512.0"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Ext\CLSID]
"{17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}"="1"

The registry entries are courtesy of RyanVM

To install WGA Notification, I was only able to install it properly via RunOnceEx

Are you sure that windows update works only with wga integrated that way?

• 2 weeks later...

Francesco, your procedure worked perfectly for me. I even learned how to produce self-extracting installers using 7-Zip - I prefer to use this list of switches (/quiet /norestart /overwriteoem /nobackup) over your choice of (/passive) - but the same result is achieved.

the KB you cannot remember is KB892130 - this is the validation tool

You can also use the same technique to trap the notification hotfix (KB905474).

Thank you for this clear, concise suggestion

• 1 year later...

I'd like to encourage everyone reading this thread to also check out GUIDE: Download Everything Microsoft, a complete, step-by-step, how-to, which includes all of the most useful information contained in this thread you are currently reading, as well as information on some other closely related items that you should consider integrating into your XPCDs. Much of the linked guide's information has been discussed in other disparate MSFN Forums threads (like this one), but it is all brought together in one place along with new information not covered anywhere else on MSFN.

Guide Topics Include Integrating:

• Windows Installer 3.1 v2 (3.1.4000.2435) - KB893803
  • Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications - KB905474
  • Windows Update Agent
  • Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool ActiveX Control - KB892130 (LegitCheckControl.cab)
  • Office Genuine Advantage Validation Tool ActiveX Control (OGAControl.cab)
  • Windows Update ActiveX Control (wuweb_site.cab)
  • Microsoft Update ActiveX Control (muweb_site.cab)
  • Office Update Installation Engine ActiveX Control (opuc4.cab)
  • Microsoft Update Catalog Internet ActiveX Control (MuCatalogWebControl.cab)

All of the above items are closely interrelated as it they all pertain to downloading Microsoft Software Updates to your Windows XP computer. In fact, many of the above items are so closely intertwined that some will not work correctly without the correct installation of others.