On & Off

3aces

sorry my bad i was a bit vague!!

well i have a server system setup in my house, i have it wired up to all my tv and media center downstairs i always leave the server system on because of it... but a mate of mine said it needs a couple of hours to cool down, so he said by using software i can get my pc to auto boot up and shutdown, so i could get it too shut down at about midnight and backup and running about 5 or 6

hope its clearer now!!

for shutting down you can use an small prog called AYE SHUTDOWN that you can set conditions and time to shut down,but as for boting up im afrain if there is anything you can do cause the system power is out and nothing can be run,though you can put your computer bios on WAKE UP ON CALL and in the morning use your phone and dial your computer number :rolleyes:

Just a possibly stupid question, but how do you intend to run that software on a computer that's shut off?

How do you make toast on a toaster that's unplugged?

or How can you ride a dead horse?

Think! before you post.

If a computer is properly set up, it will start and boot up when AC power is applied to it.

Then from MSCONFIG and the Startup folder, you can have it start whatever programs you wish.

Removing the power from it causes it to crash, but it will recover on the next boot.

That's probably the poorest way to shut down a PC.....but it's possible.

The shutdown command in a batch file run by the Task Scheduler could also shut down the PC at a predetermined time.

Here's the shutdown command:

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 -f

Just put that command in a batch file and run it from the Task Scheduler.

Then you'd have to remove the power from it and then restore the power to get it to start up again.

Is that kind of what you need?

cheers3.gif

PS:

A really Evil thought just occured to me.

Plug your PC into one of those little timers that they sell in the hardware stores to time Christmas tree lights.

Set up your Bios to start the PC when power is applied (i have mine set up that way, so I know it can be done) then put Shortcuts to any programs that you want to start in your Startup Folder.

Shutdown the PC with the Shutdown command as I said earlier.

Then let the timer remove the power from the system a few minutes later.

When the timer comes back on the PC will boot normally.

That's kind of "Cheap-n-Dirty" but I know it will work. :whistle:

Edited by Andromeda43

Just a possibly stupid question, but how do you intend to run that software on a computer that's shut off?

How do you make toast on a toaster that's unplugged?

or How can you ride a dead horse?

Think! before you post.

If a computer is properly set up, it will start and boot up when AC power is applied to it.

Then from MSCONFIG and the Startup folder, you can have it start whatever programs you wish.

Removing the power from it causes it to crash, but it will recover on the next boot.

That's probably the poorest way to shut down a PC.....but it's possible.

The shutdown command in a batch file run by the Task Scheduler could also shut down the PC at a predetermined time.

Here's the shutdown command:

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 -f

Just put that command in a batch file and run it from the Task Scheduler.

Then you'd have to remove the power from it and then restore the power to get it to start up again.

Is that kind of what you need?

cheers3.gif

PS:

A really Evil thought just occured to me.

Plug your PC into one of those little timers that they sell in the hardware stores to time Christmas tree lights.

Set up your Bios to start the PC when power is applied (i have mine set up that way, so I know it can be done) then put Shortcuts to any programs that you want to start in your Startup Folder.

Shutdown the PC with the Shutdown command as I said earlier.

Then let the timer remove the power from the system a few minutes later.

When the timer comes back on the PC will boot normally.

That's kind of "Cheap-n-Dirty" but I know it will work. :whistle:

true true, no power = no running pc lol

and on the timer idead i mite jus do that unless i can find the WAKE UP ON RTC ALARM function in my BIOS to work!!

it refuses to boot up on time, i followed the instructions

1) enable it

2)set the date and time

3)save changes to BIOS

4)boot in to OS

5)shutdown computer

and at the correct time it should boot up!!

any ideas on wots goin on???

This is what I do. In my BIOS, I have the computer itself turn on every day at 6:30AM. I also have it configured so that if the power cuts off & then comes back on again, the system will boot up. In Windows XP, I have a scheduled task that runs at 10:30 PM every night to turn off the computer. It does this by running 'shutdown -s -t 55'. This way, if I am on the computer at 10:30, I can run 'shutdown -a' to abort the shutdown process.

-John

This is what I do. In my BIOS, I have the computer itself turn on every day at 6:30AM. I also have it configured so that if the power cuts off & then comes back on again, the system will boot up. In Windows XP, I have a scheduled task that runs at 10:30 PM every night to turn off the computer. It does this by running 'shutdown -s -t 55'. This way, if I am on the computer at 10:30, I can run 'shutdown -a' to abort the shutdown process.

-John

I have the same configuration, except mine goes on at 7AM... Any earlier is too early... I use the system startup beep as my alarm clock sometimes! :P

-John

I have the same configuration, except mine goes on at 7AM... Any earlier is too early... I use the system startup beep as my alarm clock sometimes! :P

its a gd idea but i dont have task scheduler install on my set up

just because the computer is shut down it doesnt mean that there is no power. when mine is shut down there are still light lit up on the mobo. setting a bootup time in the bios is all you need to do for startup, for shutdown just use a program as suggested above.

just because the computer is shut down it doesnt mean that there is no power. when mine is shut down there are still light lit up on the mobo. setting a bootup time in the bios is all you need to do for startup, for shutdown just use a program as suggested above.

hmmm rite i would of done that originally but my computer doesnt boot on the time its set to on the BIOS im not sure why i have checked all the power settings and what not...