[Help] When idle, display welcome screen on resume.

tubui

So what happens right now when you resume, instead of the welcome screen? Is your machine a member of a network domain?

Hit Windows-R and enter control userpasswords2 in the box and hit enter. Is the box checked requiring a username and password?

Post a screenshot of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon

I also found this webpage with google, but have never used the utility or know the author. Use at your own risk.

Edited by ODC

To my knowledge, this can't be done on XP Pro. I work in a domain for the most part, and have not run XP Home, but in both the screen saver locks the workstation, it doesn't log you out. Now there were some screensavers that would do that, but I never could get them to work reliably.

On the screensaver tab in display properties, is the option to secure it checked (like the attached pic shows)?

post-13177-1147451571_thumb.jpg

So what happens right now when you resume, instead of the welcome screen? Is your machine a member of a network domain?

Hit Windows-R and enter control userpasswords2 in the box and hit enter. Is the box checked requiring a username and password?

Post a screenshot of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\WinLogon

I also found this webpage with google, but have never used the utility or know the author. Use at your own risk.

Right now, when I resume, it has a field that requires you to login, but its not the windows welcome screen. How do I check if my machine is a member of a network domain? Yes the box checked requiring a username and password is there.

The screenshot is listed below. And also, I went to that link earlier and I used it and it said my GINA was default so that didn't help much.

To my knowledge, this can't be done on XP Pro. I work in a domain for the most part, and have not run XP Home, but in both the screen saver locks the workstation, it doesn't log you out. Now there were some screensavers that would do that, but I never could get them to work reliably.

On the screensaver tab in display properties, is the option to secure it checked (like the attached pic shows)?

I think you misunderstood. I don't want my computer to log me out when I go idle, I want it to basically lock the work station like you mention so that no one will go in it when say I fell asleep and I left the computer running. Yes in the screenshot, that is what mine look like now. I want it to say "On resume, display welcome screen" but it won't.

Edited by tubui

That's the problem, he doesn't want it to secure by password. He wants it to show the welcome screen instead.

IIRC, in order for the welcome screen option to show:

You can't be on a domain.

You can't have auto-login enabled.

You must have the welcome screen and fast user switching enabled.

post-23175-1147458847_thumb.png

Edited by ODC

That's the problem, he doesn't want it to secure by password. He wants it to show the welcome screen instead.

IIRC, in order for the welcome screen option to show:

You can't be on a domain.

You can't have auto-login enabled.

You must have the welcome screen and fast user switching enabled.

How can I check if I'm not on a domain?

How can I check if I have auto-login enabled (which I think I don't).

I have both welcome screen and fast user switching enabled.

And yes, your screenshot is exactly what I want.

What is your value for UIhost? You can try changing it to logonui.exe (no path, and make sure you remember the current value so you can change it back if you need to... in fact, you might want to backup your registry completely before editting keys).

Also, you may want to scrap your screenshot as it shows your machine and usernames, would you might not want to share.

EDIT: I just realized you have changed your default welcome screen. Since you have hacked your system, it might not behave properly.

Edited by ODC

Yeah, I use TuneUP Utilities and I changed my welcome screen.

For future reference, this is super helpful information to include when requestiong help. Anything that changes the default Windows installation and modifies things as important as the Login can and do affect the way the default settings behave.

Try uninstalling the changes made with this program and then reread this thread. My guess is that it will work, as no-one here has given any information that is incorrect.

:thumbup