Why I hate WinXP crap!

trodas

Kelsenellenelvian - nice, thanks, but... but the directory still open with the default thumbnails view witch I try avoid. Now these thumbnails are just generated each time, so... not a solution. How to force the directory open with "list" and not with "thumbnails" view??? :no:

Other than that it the point must stay.

os2fan2 - :lok: :-P Good point. I never tried OS/2, so probably I missing another nasty surprises there, hehe :-)

nakira - not very close AND you need 1600 pixels wide screen for what I can easily beat on just 1024 with W2k ;)

albator - thanks, and any solutions for point 13 do exist? :whistle:

And I would disagree with you that nLite (or any XP mod known to me) could take care of the points 6 and 11. So, please, show me a way to do it... :sneaky:

Kelsenellenelvian - nice, thanks, but... but the directory still open with the default thumbnails view witch I try avoid. Now these thumbnails are just generated each time, so... not a solution. How to force the directory open with "list" and not with "thumbnails" view??? :no:

Other than that it the point must stay.

Simple,

Click View, select "List"

If you want every folder to do the same as this and open in list view, after doing the above go to Tools and select "Folder Options...", Click the "View" tab, and then click the "Apply to All Folders" button.

Poof, magicly (and sooo complicated I might add) all of your explorer windows will now open in List view and will not create any new thumbnail thumbnail files... cause, well, you're not in thumbnail view anymore ;)

If you want every folder to do the same as this and open in list view, after doing the above go to Tools and select "Folder Options...", Click the "View" tab, and then click the "Apply to All Folders" button.

Please test first what you suggesting. I'm not a novice, but I talked abut how the the "Pictures" default windows directory open WHEN saving files from IE by default and it does NOT support this change at all.

It did not reflect ANY change into the directory/folder settings... :realmad::realmad::realmad:

I must fix a little the reason 17 by myself :blushing:

17) on WinXP is not possible to get rid of the thumbnails view that is, be dafault, used for the root of pictures directory (that what IE open as default save directory). To make things worser, this setting apply to all the subdirs too! **** thumbnails showing on XP! Its possible only disable the caching of the generated thumbnails by XP (so no bothering thumbnail caching files over whole HDD...), not to change the way the folder always open with these thumbnails...

http://ax2.old-cans.com/no_thumbnails.zip

So, who can tell me, how to disable the default thumbnails view, guys? :wacko::} It is possible? I'm ready to even edit ANY file, including shell32.ddl :angel

You have got to be the pickiest and most misinformed user on this forum. I've only scratched the surface of this topic and I'm flabbergasted.

Anyway, to disable thumbnail viewing in XP the easy way, just set your view to Details. :P

Another easy way, just unregister the DLL files starting in "jgaw".

-trodas, you're right, when u try to save a pic from IE, it automatically brings up the My Pictures folder in thumbnail view, even if you changed that view to Details before... :}

-BUT-

-it's just 2 quick easy clicks to change that view into Details, each time... :rolleyes:

-PLUS: ? WHY are you using IE to save pics, or for pretty much anything else, when Firefox is so much faster/better/safer 95% of the time? AND Firefox does NOT have this "thumbnail" issue, when saving pics... yet another improvement over Eeeevil IE... :P

(but for the record, yes, I HATE XP with a passion, for this same kind of issue (and sooo many others!) - yanking control out of user's hands, in soooo many ways, forcing LOTS of extra effort/"tweaks"/registry fixes, when GREAT ol' win98se did NOT do that crap! :realmad: The ONLY bad thing about w98 vs XP is stability, and that's something which Micro$hit SHOULD have fixed in the early years, instead of forcing a complete OS change! [btw, MDGx's "98se2me" unofficial pkg fixes almost all of 98se's instability and other issues, makes 98se almost perfect :thumbup ] In my own everyday use (as I believe is the case for 95% of users), I have yet to find ANYTHING that XP can do which can't be done easier, faster, better, safer in win98se (w/98se2me and his other regular unofficial updates, which are FAR FEWER than XP's MONTHLY SLEW of security fixes! -I mean, come ON, XP is 5 yrs old, win98se only 7, yet STILL half a dozen or more MONTHLY XP security fixes? What ever happened to LEMON LAWS?!)... -of course, this'll spark-up angry replies from Sheep *cough* I mean XP-lovers mentioning actions/stuff which 95% of users DON'T use/do (or even WANT) 99% of the time, and I don't mean to flame/troll/hijack, so my apologies... I myself AM *FORCED*, kicking and screaming, to use XP regularly for back-to-college classes, and after I spent a few WEEKS researching/tweaking/shredding the HELL out of XP's initial BLOAT crap, it isn't TOO slow/painful to {grudgingly} use {when absolutely necessary!}, but every day it still annoys me in so many little ways which 98se does NOT... -OK, I'll now happily wander back to MSFN's win98se unofficial update threads... )

>;]

Edited by PsycoUnc

(hey, Bledd, just checked out your UC page... I was diagnosed w/UC {and Ischemic Colitis, which is a lack of blood flow causing the lining cells to die en-mass; not good} about a year ago, altho I realized that I've had the symptoms for most of the past 10 yrs straight... Fortunately, I went to the hospital within 2 days of the "bad" symptoms, caught it early, and now have it mostly under control w/out any surgery {yet}... I'll probably need the same surgery as you within the next 10 yrs, tho... -how's the 2nd surgery results workin out for you?)

<;]

Jeremy - yea, I'm VERY picky and want things works exactly my way and no other way around ;)

It is requirment "not to be picky" necessary for using the cursed XP - at least using it happily, not unwillingly like me now?! :rolleyes:

I've only scratched the surface of this topic and I'm flabbergasted.
Come on then! I can't wait for the solutions you post! And there is no limits, I already modified DLL's, even the shell32 dll, so, shoot!
Anyway, to disable thumbnail viewing in XP the easy way, just set your view to Details.

Not true, it never work for me. Next time (w/o even closing the very samy IE window!) they are back again. They are like curse, a disease or something...

Another easy way, just unregister the DLL files starting in "jgaw".
Now that is worth a shot! I remember, the dam.n annoing image viewer M$ bloated into XP crap could be disabled by this:
Disable XP image viwer:

regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

So, I looked and there is :

jgaw400.dll - can't be unregistred

Other close files, yet none is matching your "jgaw" desctiption - only using the "jg" at start are:

jgdw400.dll

jgmd400.dll

jgpl400.dll

jgsd400.dll

jgsh400.dll

So, witch one to kill and how does this kill change the default behaviour that force opening the thumbnail view of the "My Pictures" directory AND all it's subdirs? (I wanted and managed the My Pictures to be root of my D: drive, so imagine what happen when...)

BTW, in few occasions the Thumbnail view even crashed on me (and I'm not alone, look: http://ask.metafilter.com/mefi/33620 ), silently closing the application with all my work/text lost. That is "just great" and just another reasons why I f*cking hate this XP crap! :realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

Please help!

bledd - don't just "lol", come on with some solutions! If you can...

PsycoUnc - many pages does not work with FireFox, so I can't use it. Not to mention I feel much more comfortable in IE. So please limit YOUR solutions to solutions and NOT to creating another problems using another browser. There IS things where I use FF and Opera instead of insecure IE, but trusted pages run best in IE.

Sometimes the crash come sooner that I was able to change the details - I got 3Ghz Opty machine...

Win98 is too obsolete, however it seems that W2k SP2 with some add ons like 48bit addressing splistreamed in is perfect.

And speaking about hate of the bloated XP sh*t - yep, I feel the same. But I need XP now to test out the reader in my Grouper mobo - just to realize that unlike W2k SP2, my XP SP1.0a completely FROZE my computer when I insert my Flash Voyager USB 4G stick into my front USB port...

It freeze my machine so bad, that not ever reset help. It HAVE to pull the cord, actually... And some bios settings are lost, eh, last time I checked XP and USB on Grouper.

Side note - Grouper bios must have USB issues.

Side note 2nd - W2k did not froze, witch make me hate XP even more (curses, curses and again curses) ...

Edited by trodas

bledd - don't just "lol", come on with some solutions! If you can...

He did... you just don't want to try it. SP2 is much much better than SP1. There's a reason why old Service Packs have a limited support lifetime.

And speaking about hate of the bloated XP sh*t - yep, I feel the same. But I need XP now to test out the reader in my Grouper mobo - just to realize that unlike W2k SP2, my XP SP1.0a completely FROZE my computer when I insert my Flash Voyager USB 4G stick into my front USB port...

It freeze my machine so bad, that not ever reset help. It HAVE to pull the cord, actually... And some bios settings are lost, eh, last time I checked XP and USB on Grouper.

Side note - Grouper bios must have USB issues.

Side note 2nd - W2k did not froze, witch make me hate XP even more (curses, curses and again curses) ...

Are your WinXP/Win2K comparisons on the exact same machine? There could be a difference between the chipset driver that's installed under Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

For those with knowledge of driver development, it's interesting to know that Windows XP originally included two mini-ports, Usbuhci.sys and Usbohci.sys. Adding USB 2.0 support requires a new mini-port, Usbehci.sys. USB 2.0 support updates Usbport.sys, Usbhub.sys, and other key USB support drivers. Windows XP also uses a host controller-specific coinstaller, Hccoin.dll, which provides for interaction between the USB 2.0 controller and companion host controllers. Windows 2000 wasn't so lucky: Microsoft built an entire new USB 2.0 device driver stack that operates in parallel with the old USB stack.
-Source

Zxian - XP SP2 suxx even more, this is not a solution but creating more problems and you know that.

Are your WinXP/Win2K comparisons on the exact same machine? There could be a difference between the chipset driver that's installed under Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

Yes, same machine, same setting, same installed drivers - same HDD, same everything.

XP clearly reacted way worser. Pulling the plug on computer is beyond everything...

I clearly did NOT want to experience that again, so I will not care about XP and USB anymore. Yet again I think the bios o the board is up to blame...

Jeremy - any feedback on the Thumbnails? It is getting annoing a bit, pls help :blushing:

@Trodas

if you use the nlite tweak with view to details, no thumbnail will show up. I know I use it.

You dont stop complaining, but you refuse solution people bring to you.

Why dont you use firefox ? The vast majority of advanced user use firefox (or opera). And dont come with that compatibility s***. Just give me a url that dont work with firefox.