[GUIDE]Get a Cheap Windows Sidebar

Dels

ok since everyone still playing around to use 3rd party docking/sidebar application, i think you would be better if you know a windows have "built-in sidebar" (you could make it dock too), some really simple but nice and don't use ram at all (cause it integrate with explorer.exe) and allmost windows have it (Win 2000 and xp have it, i believe Win 98 too)

ok things really simple and fast :

1. don't lock your taskbar, and select one of the toolbar (just like in the pick), i use desktop for example

screenshot0004qb.gif

2. play around a bit until you get this kind of mouse (or just mouse-over on the grip)

screenshot0014zm.gif

3. try to drag upper (to the desktop)

screenshot0025ih.gif

4. and this is what you get first

screenshot0037vx.gif

5. drag it to left or right corner of your screen, it will strecth and voila you get it

screenshot0046de.gif

customize it, oh yeah you could add another toolbar into your first toolbar and maybe you can get something like this (maybe better)

screenshot0057tt.gif

Edited by Dels

Hmmm... it looks like Windows 95 with Internet Explorer 4, doesn't it ?

:D

edit: may i precise it wasn't a question ? this trick is nearly *eleven years old* (ough !), it was first publicly avaiable with the first public beta of IE4

Another trick : hold the CTRL key when you click on a folder or on a drive to see its contents in a menu...

Edited by Delprat

Hmmm... it looks like Windows 95 with Internet Explorer 4, doesn't it ?

for the screenshot, that is winxp with royale theme

for the sidebar, yes that looks like "Channel Bar" that available on Win98 :D, i just found out 2k and xp have it too

Still cant drag the toolbar from the bottom to the desktop, I tried it does nothing.

I can move it to the desktop but when I let go expecting it to be sitting there, its not.

Ah well, ill just wait for vista ;)

may i precise it wasn't a question ? this trick is nearly *eleven years old* (ough !), it was first publicly avaiable with the first public beta of IE4

yeah 8 years old and many people forget about it lol :D

Nice tip. I have a question though - Is there a way to create folders as menus rather than links. If you see what I mean. Add a folder to the menu so that when clicked on, instead of opening an explorer window, it has a black arrow beside it and loads a menu showing the contents of that folder?

Can you explain to me why you didn't edit the previous thread about this and included the guide there?

The other thread is locked and future double-posting like this will get your posting rights suspended.

Any further discussion about this, please PM me.

yeah 8 years old and many people forget about it lol :D

no no no... it was in IE4, before Win98.

(of course, there's no Win95 with IE4, only IE3)

Nice tip. I have a question though - Is there a way to create folders as menus rather than links. If you see what I mean. Add a folder to the menu so that when clicked on, instead of opening an explorer window, it has a black arrow beside it and loads a menu showing the contents of that folder?

I've already answered in the second post of this thread :rolleyes:

Another trick : hold the CTRL key when you click on a folder or on a drive to see its contents in a menu...

There's no need for any "black arrow"

... If you're willing to give up your Links folder in Internet Explorer, you can use it as a toolbar with cascading folders. I've replaced my Quicklaunch toolbar with it...

post-92647-1147570050_thumb.jpg

Quick question. Does anyone know of any way to skin the bar? I already have the uxtheme.dll patched and my current VS isn't applied to it. :no: Don't know if it's possible, just thought I'd ask. B)