Windows 2003

Hi there! I'm new here, but i've been reading your post like 2 or 3 months ago.

Tomorrow i'm going to format my hard drive because i wanted to quit Linux from my system, i had a dual boot with Mandrake Linux 9.0/Windows XP Pro. I wanted to get back the space Linux was using and the HDDs also needed some cleaning... I wanted to ask what are the pro/cons of Windows Server 2003, because i'm considering installing it with the workstation guide in the home page, i also want to know if i can run certain programs (specifically Warcraft 3, Office XP, Counter Strike, Messenger, Windows Media Player and stuff), i'm going to tell you my specs:

AMD K6-2 500 mHz, Soyo MoBo (don't remember the model right now), 128 MB Ram, 15 GB Maxtor and 20GB Samsung HDDs, Sound Blaster PCI 128, NVidia GeForce 2 MX400 32 MB.

I know it is not THE machine, but it has been fatihful... And it runs Warcraft 3 very smooth

:) !!!

Thanks for the help you could provide me!!!

Seph

Hi there! I'm new here, but i've been reading your post like 2 or 3 months ago.

Tomorrow i'm going to format my hard drive because i wanted to quit Linux from my system, i had a dual boot with Mandrake Linux 9.0/Windows XP Pro. I wanted to get back the space Linux was using and the HDDs also needed some cleaning... I wanted to ask what are the pro/cons of Windows Server 2003, because i'm considering installing it with the workstation guide in the home page, i also want to know if i can run certain programs (specifically Warcraft 3, Office XP, Counter Strike, Messenger, Windows Media Player and stuff), i'm going to tell you my specs:

AMD K6-2 500 mHz, Soyo MoBo (don't remember the model right now), 128 MB Ram, 15 GB Maxtor and 20GB Samsung HDDs, Sound Blaster PCI 128, NVidia GeForce 2 MX400 32 MB.

I know it is not THE machine, but it has been fatihful... And it runs Warcraft 3 very smooth

:) !!!

Thanks for the help you could provide me!!!

Seph

Personally, if you are not running win2k3 as a server, just as a workstation, I would recommend that you just run xp pro instead. As Win2k3 is a server, I would not expect any graphics card vendors or multimedia developers to develop any new drivers for their cards, or in the case of multimedia developers, any new multimedia apps for this os as it is intended to be run as a server. However, if you are intending to run it as a server as well then go ahead. It basically XP pro server, nice and stable and just like windows xp with the added server features. But i would strongly advise against running it on a machine with less than 256 Mb ram if you intend to play games as well as run it as a server, It is very resource hungry

I have 2 machines running server 2003 (converted wrkstations) and all are great, not that i think they are faster but i just want to try them out(feels kinda faster tho). I havent run into anything major that would stop me from continuing to run it as a desktop OS, well i did but got around them.

Its not the same for my Laptop tho, runs fine but drains the battery alot faster, even at laptop power settings.

Anyways if u want to go ahead, try it. read the guide carefully, my first shot at it was kinda slow process. we'll see you here in the forums again im sure.

Good luck.

yeah i wouldnt run 2003 if i were u because with my win2k3 experience i got a major problem the atapi issue which the cd-rom being fail to load within a special time causing 10 min startup :)

so if i were u ill go with xp its a great os for game and stuff

:) MY W2K3 SEEMS TO RUN FASTER THAN XP PRO AND IS REALLY A NICE PACKAGE...W2K3 DOES NOT SUPPORT RESTORE AS XP BUT, RESTORE CAN BE ADDED EASILY IF YOU HAVE THE XP CD AND ALSO DOWNLOAD THE KIT FOUND ON THE INTERNET; HOWEVER, ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE EXPERIENCED A LOSS OF FUNCTIONALITY WITH THE RESTORE FUNCTION IN BOTH WINDOWS ME AND XP FOR AS YET UNEXPLAINED REASONS...IT SEEMS TO BE A MATTER OF PERSONAL PREFERENCE AS TO WHICH VERSION YOU USE...YOU CAN RUN BOTH W2K3 AND XP ON THE SAME BOX IN DIFFERENT PARTITIONS...WORKS FOR ME! :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...