Installing service pack 6 for NT4 causes the OS to be unbootable

Hi,

I recently installed Windows NT4 Server and then I decided to install the latest SP6a for it. I restarted my computer. When it attempts to boot, I get a screen dump, like a stupid BSOD. Can you tell me whats causing the problem?

Edited by Thunderbolt 2864

Are you absolutely sure it's caused by SP6? :huh:

It works fine for me in vmware. I don't know how it acts on physical hardware though. My biggest issue with NT4 is that nothing I have is designed to run on it. I just don't use it.

Well, I have a machine with hardware from 2005, so I guess SP6a doesn't support this kind of hardware? Hmm...

Any ideas?

I just wanted to try out Windows NT4 though I don't like it. I just wanted to see if it works on my machine though.

I have installed Winnt + sp6a on very modern machines, both before and after later Windows NT versions.

Even though the new ide driver can see drives over 8GB, the ntboot os has to be in the first 8 MB for it to work properly. I typically give it 1 G for the OS drive.

W

What is the actual BSOD you see? It is likely a driver issue, but on the off-chance it's not, it'd be helpful to know the stop code, addresses, and module it's complaining about.