Is there possibility to repair RAM modules?

roger04

Definitely not with software.

You could overvolt it in the BIOS though... that might help keep it working for a little while longer.

Cheaper to buy a new one if overvolting doesn't work.

Nitro,

Nop they are not overclocked. Infact I think it's running at 100 MHz(original value is 133MHz, it's a DDR btw). Underclocked.

LLXX, how much increment should I give the RAM module? Can I overvolt only one module(faulty one)(I have 2)?

Have you considered it may just be dirty? Just clean out the ram slot CAREFULLY with a cotton bud that has been dipped in methylated spirits. The cotton bud shouldnt be dripping, just have a little on it. Do the same with the ram stick connectors.

Make sure its completely dry before putting the ram back in. If you feel uncomfortable with any of this, dont do it. Get someone who is techinically minded to do it for you.

Maybe Axed is right. This is what I do (every 2 or 3 weeks):

Open my case, remove the add-on cards and the RAM modules and with a soft brush remove all the dust off the slots. Also, I use some technical spirit to clean the contacts of the RAM and the cards.

Good luck!

LLXX, how much increment should I give the RAM module? Can I overvolt only one module(faulty one)(I have 2)?
No mobo I've seen so far allows independent voltages for the RAM slots, so both of them will have to overvolt. Just increase the voltage to the first increment above default (+0.1v, +5%, etc.). Continue until you've reached the maximum for the mobo or the RAM begins to work correctly, whichever comes first.

I don't think dirt would cause this problem, as removing and reinserting effectively wipes the contacts free of any dust.

Edited by LLXX

Yes, Roger......it may.

I've written detailed explanations of how to clean dirty ram many times in this and other forums.

I've been an electronics tech for over 40 years now....this stuff ain't nothing new to me. :no::lol:

Just a little dirt between those tiny little legs coming off the side of a ram chip can cause a short circuit between the legs resulting in failure.

Whenever I get a funky ram stick or video card with ram chips on it, I pull the offending unit and take it to the kitchen sink where I wash it thoroughly with warm water, dishwashing detergent and an old toothbrush, concentrating on the ram chips themselves, not the rest of the card and of course on the edge connector as well.

Then a good rinse with warm water to displace any soapy residue. Follow that with a very thorough rinse with denatured alcohol (isopropyl alcohol will work, if that's all you have)

Let the ram stick or vid card air dry in a warm and dry place for several hours. (Overnight is good too)

Then reinstall and test. I save over 90% of bad ram and video cards that way.

My own vid card started giving me fits with colored blocks running all over the screen, about a year ago.

I washed it, set it out in the sun and breezes for several hours and reinstalled it.....it's been running faultlessly ever since.

If the ram is really bad, it will never show up as sometimes bad and sometimes good.....you're going to have to throw it out and buy a replacement anyway.

Washing it first to see if you can save it.....costs you NOTHING!

Per my own experience, you have a 90+% chance of saving it.

You need to be testing your ram with a known reliable program like "Memtest86".

Run it from a boot disk to bypass your OS, hardware drivers, etc.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

Edited by Andromeda43

Thanks Andromeda for your reply!

can I use any soap? hand soap too?

I don't have a 'bottle' of isopropyl alcohol, I only have them in swabs. Do I need to rinse the RAM stick in it?

• 4 years later...