missing or corrupt system32\hal\dll

kfarmen

Hi all,

This is my first posting. I found this forum while searching for an answer for my computer problem. While trying to clean up my Toshiba laptop computer today to help it run "faster", my power supply gave out and it pooped out before the procedure was done. I got a new power supply at Best Buy (which it wasn't) and found out that I had a corrupt or missing file named in the title above. I tried the MS online support and could not restore by pressing F8, etc. I thought about switching the boot up to the cd rom drive but I got the computer brand new with XP on it and there is no disc to put in to correct the files.

Can I create a disc online with my other computer to use to rescue my computer?

Is there anything else I can do?

Faster is what I was after and zippo is what I got!

Thanks - Ken

Your computer should have at least come with a recovery CD. If it did not, contact Toshiba to send you one.

If you have another OEM version of Windows XP on CD from another system, you can try it (using the COA on the Toshiba CD when asked for your product key, of course), but I can't make any guarantees that it'll work properly.

What specific model of toshiba is this? On the bottom of the laptop, there should be a label...often silver on toshibas...and the actual model number should be there. The name on the top is often generic, like; satalite or satalite pro.

Some of the OEMs are not giving out recovery CDs anymore. They are often creating a small hiden partition that allows you to recover it that way. Toshiba's site should have some info for you, but for some reason, I don't think that toshiba has done too much of that yet.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_home.jsp

Thanks for your input.

It is a Toshiba Satellite 2435-s255. The Windows XP sticker is also on the back with the product key. I tried the F8 option and then tried to open it in safe mode. The Microsoft help I found said to type, %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe, and then follow the instructions on the screen. I cannot get that far though. So the built in system recovery doesn't seem to be an option for me.

My neighbor had some XP Home Edition system recovery discs but I got the message that they would not work on my machine because they are for an HP pavilion.

So I will try the option suggested that I check with the Toshiba help online and see how to get a recovery disc for my particular computer.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Ken