Network printer install

soljoe

:};) We have 12 printers on our network and all have their own IP addresses. There are about 150 users using these printers in different locations at different times. All 12 printers have been installed on all the computers. We just purchased a new color printer and I need to give access to everyone. The only option I know now is to log in as either admin or myself and install the drivers and I have to do this on all 200+ computers we have. Is there a way that I can use a policy or network install to save me the headache of going from one office to another?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

;):};)

:};) We have 12 printers on our network and all have their own IP addresses. There are about 150 users using these printers in different locations at different times. All 12 printers have been installed on all the computers. We just purchased a new color printer and I need to give access to everyone. The only option I know now is to log in as either admin or myself and install the drivers and I have to do this on all 200+ computers we have. Is there a way that I can use a policy or network install to save me the headache of going from one office to another?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

;):};)

I suggest a GPO based, machine based script that maps printers as appropriate every time the machine starts up. Simple, easy to maintain....

A way to dress it up a bit is to script it so that only certain subnets get certain printers, but that may be more trouble than you want to mess with.

if you have an AD then users can do a search and install the printer themselves as they will pick drivers of the printserver, that way you've saved legwork and not everybody will use "because it is new"

Yes we do have AD but users have no rights to install anything including printers and oh by the way we currently don't use a print server. Does anyone know of a script I can use??? :no:

Yes we do have AD but users have no rights to install anything including printers and oh by the way we currently don't use a print server. Does anyone know of a script I can use??? :no:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314486/en-us

Bear in mind you'll be fine if you make this a *machine* based startup script; it runs in the System context, so no worries about user access.