I have 98se service pack what other updates do I need?

--UPDATE: -funny timing, after posting that last one, I noticed Petr's new(ish) thread with a nearly identical subject: "Future development of 98/SE/Me service packs"...

-he goes on, in great detail, about the same kind of idea, but implemented a bit differently... see my (even longer, lol) post in that thread for more info...

-MDGx: you might be interested in checking out that post, as well; any input from you is of course of Gospel-quality... :thumbup

>;]

Edited by PsycoUnc

• 3 weeks later...

Just a few points about Windows Update:

Yes, Windows Update is scaling back. What that actually means is:

1) They have very few updates now.

2) They used to have more.

3) They never had a significant amount of the ones actually in existence.

4) Most of what is in the SP 2.1a NEVER was in Windows Update.

4a) But it should have been!

cjl

Despite your kind help

I'm lost already

I find the mdgx thread and home page baffling

Haven't a clue what to download,

Plus some links take me to microsoft I don't get it ?

I remember now that is originally why I posted this thread :D

I think a lot of you guys think this forum is user friendly

but i can assure you much of it isn't to the uninitiated.

Edited by Arrow

Arrow,

I assume (thought it's wild assumtion since nobody wrote it word by word), that the updates still not included in uSP2.1a are those listed in the first page of

98 FE + 98 SE + ME updates + patches + (hot)fixes

here on this forum.

Dowload the patches with "direct download" when provided by MDGx (thanks to him for his bandwith), to avoid the M$ webloat pages, that are often too cryptic, uselessly complicated and sometimes don't work.

As a M$ customer you are supposed to use the embedded windows update wizard and ask no question. The M$ webiste is for developers, you know. ;)

Edited by Fredledingue

Ace MegaCodec pack, albeit excellent (but to use with caution), is a bit outdated today as it does not include the latest splitters and decoders such as the FLV (Flash Video) splitter for example.

I recommend the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack...

http://www.codecguide.com/

It's frequently updated and I've never had any problems with it.

> well, personally, for many many many many many reasons (as discussed, at length, in these & other forums), I emphatically prefer sticking with IE5.5sp2

I use IE6SP1 with BROWSEUI.DLL and BROWSELC.DLL from 5.5 with ME updates to avoid the bug with super slow file deletion in Windows Explorer. I don't know why some people think IE5.5 is better; you should decide for yourself which to install.

:thumbup i find MDGx site a little confusion but it is better than ms updates he got everything and fries with that 2 boot.lol. i believe theres a thread on what updates what order 2 follow in here perhap someone could do one at least listed the main ones ie6sp1 dx9 etc etc.