[MISC] Renew IP address?

99% of the time with residential dsl you can change your ip simply by logging onto your router and disconnecting/reconnecting.

if you don't use a router, just turn your modem off and back on.

to verify the ip change, simply memorize the last number of your ip address beforehand (i.e. 134) and make sure it's different afterwards.

if you are unsure of your external ip address, check IP Chicken

Depends on your isp.

But most people would rather have a static ip than a dynamic one.....until they get an ip ban from somewhere

It depends on your ISP how you renew the IP!? All of the ISP's I know assign IPs by DHCP.

--

If you are using an ADSL Router with Ethernet (RJ45) port, you can renew it by doing the following commands on cdm.exe:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

However, if you are using an USB modem, this will not work.

If you are using an ADSL Router with Ethernet (RJ45) port, you can renew it by doing the following commands on cdm.exe:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

Or you can right click the network icon in the system tray and click repair, ths does exactly the same thing :)

(except for USB modems again)

And yes, ISP's give out IP's by DHCP, even if you turn your modem off its the same IP until the lease expires. (same principle in Windows) it deals via MAC addresses.

Also, static IP's are only really necesary if you require the same IP ALL the time, like for remote access, gaming servers etc. Also, your less prone to attacks if you have a DHCP IP and not static, as your ip address changes with DHCP.

Just a small correction Maleko, if you don't mind.

Dynamic IP addresses (assigned by DHCP) can also be used for remote access, FTP's, HTTP's, and other Internet services, however, it requires a third party company providing Dynamic DNS service.

This way the IP/IPs of the computer that gets the IP address from the ISP DHCP server is announced to that DDNS company that will keep the domain always up to date with the IP.

The IP is announced to the DDNS Provider, and then updated on the 'routing table'. (NOT! a 'true' routing table!)

P.S: Dohh! Forgot about the Repair option.

Depends on your isp.

But most people would rather have a static ip than a dynamic one.....until they get an ip ban from somewhere

It depends on your ISP how you renew the IP!? All of the ISP's I know assign IPs by DHCP.

--

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

What I meant was that if his isp assigned him a static ip address then he can't change it. I have in the past had an isp that did this.

Really? Cool and weird. Well, If I was in charge of things, I would make IP reservations based on modems MAC addresses, aswell as filtering them. But I 've never heard an ISP doing this.

Just a small correction Maleko, if you don't mind.

Dynamic IP addresses (assigned by DHCP) can also be used for remote access, FTP's, HTTP's, and other Internet services, however, it requires a third party company providing Dynamic DNS service.

This way the IP/IPs of the computer that gets the IP address from the ISP DHCP server is announced to that DDNS company that will keep the domain always up to date with the IP.

The IP is announced to the DDNS Provider, and then updated on the 'routing table'. (NOT! a 'true' routing table!)

:thumbup

If I was in charge of things, I would make IP reservations based on modems MAC addresses, aswell as filtering them. But I 've never heard an ISP doing this.

My ISP does assign IPs by MAC addresses, but there's still a lease. The IP address won't change unless you're offline when the lease expires. My solution is simply to clone a MAC address in my router configuration changing one or two characters. Doing this I get a guaranteed IP address change right after I reset the router. Then I reset the cable modem to break the old IP address association if I don't want the old address anymore.

I can swap between several unique IP addresses within seconds this way; as many as my modem will keep track of. :)

To see what addresses and how many are tracked can be as simple as accessing your modem's web configuration. It's often at address 192.168.100.1.

This is white-hat info. Use it wisely, otherwise you'll end up having a site ban your ISP's entire IP address range.

Edited by 5eraph

Hey thanks it worked but when i type in ipconfig into the command mos dos it still says the same thing but on ipchicken it doesnt. why didnt it change on there?

your internal ip address (i.e. 192.168.1.100) is likely the same.

your external ip address is different.

is this not what you wanted to accomplish?

If I was in charge of things, I would make IP reservations based on modems MAC addresses, aswell as filtering them. But I 've never heard an ISP doing this.

My ISP does assign IPs by MAC addresses, but there's still a lease. The IP address won't change unless you're offline when the lease expires. My solution is simply to clone a MAC address in my router configuration changing one or two characters. Doing this I get a guaranteed IP address change right after I reset the router. Then I reset the cable modem to break the old IP address association if I don't want the old address anymore.

I can swap between several unique IP addresses within seconds this way; as many as my modem will keep track of. :)

To see what addresses and how many are tracked can be as simple as accessing your modem's web configuration. It's often at address 192.168.100.1.

This is white-hat info. Use it wisely, otherwise you'll end up having a site ban your ISP's entire IP address range.

That's the problem ... You ISP should filter MAC addresses.

You're saying that if you change 1 or 2 characters on the MAC you get a new IP address, and that shouldn't happen.

Keeping an updated list of 'Accept Only the following MACs' would be the best thing to do in this case. (However, I do understand that you don't wanting a 'static' IP)

I'm guessing that filtering access by MAC address would be too labor-intensive for my ISP. It spans most metropolitan areas in a fairly large geographical area with potentially thousands of users. Much of the system is automated.

Having a static IP for consumer use invites trouble, in my opinion. How many consumers can afford a good quality hardware firewall if they host their own website or FTP? I'd prefer anonymity at home and would rather pay regular small sums to have someone else do the hosting than pick up a dedicated piece of expensive hardware.

Edited by 5eraph