Question: Pay for AutoIt?

hmm nLite, Driver Packs, are a few big ones that ask for money...they are still here so I would say its safe to ask for money here.
nLite, Driver packs, Ryan's packs etc, hell even the forums themselves - they all ask for donations.

A donation implies an optional no-pressure gift.

Maybe it's just me, but your topic title "Question: Pay for AutoIt?, Scripters for hire :)" does not imply an optional payment, but more a compulsory payment for services rendered.

That is the way that most people will take your question, and (purely personally) while I will consider donating for work done by others that I find useful, I would not pay a compulsory fee for an autoit script unless it was personally written for me, to my specs, with the code becoming my property after payment - as I would do in a normal commercial situation (and I write code both for commercial and freeware markets, have for years).

If you had just mentioned having a repositry of scripts with a donation button, you would probably have made more than you were expecting already, and this thread would be a lot shorter.

SP.

Yep, pretty sure from what I understand is what the man is seeking.

Quote:

I would not pay a compulsory fee for an autoit script unless it was personally written for me, to my specs, with the code becoming my property after payment - as I would do in a normal commercial situation

& good on him.

Guy has helped me out with a few scripts I made in the past mostly in tidying up etc & has never asked for payment. In my dealings found him to be a very reasonable person.

On the other hand if I gave him a spec with a certain outcome required, like anyone I would cheerfully expect to pay for that service.

Cheers Guys

MC.

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

muiz -

You never seen that AutoIt sticky thread at the top of the page? Exactly how did you think it became a sticky?

It was originally titled some thing else and the only script in it was one that Fuzzball did for WinAmp then I spammed 40+ scripts in it and before you know it, it was stickied and renamed...why do you think Fuzzball makes so much mention of me in the first post?

hmm maybe I should ask Alanoll to make a post here, since I think it was him that made it a sticky, and I know for certain it was him that cleanned it up for me a few times.

Most scripts in that thread are based off my coding style and format.

That CopyToDVD autoit script you used the other day...your work or was it some thing you clipped off me?

seapagan -

They ask for money, phrase it how ever...money is still being asked for.

Tell me when you bought windows...did its source code become your property?

Doesn't matter, as I've stated before, there will be no sale, donations.

Frankly at this point, I'm looking at s*** canning all freeware, open source projects I'm involved with.

MAVERICKS CHOICE -

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Edited by Nologic

Nologic has my full support. He does not require any permission to setup up a site and ask for donations (no matter how donations are phrased).

If people want to request a script that is not available, then asking a fee would not be unreasonable.

The above of asking for donations can be regarded as normal, as happens at Sourceforge and other Free products at other sites, all around the Net.

Not everyone is doing well financially, so asking for money to contribute towards effort etc, is not a sin.

Edited by MHz

MHZ, you are correct, he didn't need permission, he needed and requested market research!

The trouble is that the only way he has of guaging the true outcome of that research is listen to the feedback, not argue with everyone who's opinion differs. Does he want everyone here to say YES I'LL PAY YOU!, then once he's set it all up, find that there is a limited market, and he's wasted all his effort.

Like it or not there are only a small handful of sites where scripts intended for unattended silent installations will have any 'real' use. This is the biggest of those, and the customers opinion of himself could be critical in the future success. Calling his customers names and not listening to their feedback, doesn't augur well for that furture.

I've already stated that he will get some recompense for his work, he was however warned that there is a much larger community of takers than he imagines, and he will be 'ripped off' by peoples lack of honour, when it comes to getting what they want. I really think he needs to change tack in the method(s) he adopts in order to achieve his goal.

Thanks for the reply, Yzöwl. I can see that you are reasonable. I would say that research would not be needed. Those who would donate, would humbly do so. One can only guess of how an outcome of success would happen. I do not see many MSFN donaters, so that may perhaps express some result for scripts. But, who knows unless one tries. Some people are kind enough to give to a worthy cause.

As from the 1st reply posted, I can see negative reponses. In general, if anyone wants to get on the bad side of anyone else, then I would not recommend posting as such. Nologic, I guess, felt he had to stand up for the simple topic that this started out as. The title could have reflected better. Things look like it got out of some control, but a couple of members were not peaceful with communicating either.

There are some members on this site, who as I would consider as talented, and have contributed to others, that would be able to qualify for future compensation through donations, as stated in my last post. I respect this concept, and logically see no reason to argue. To make it blunt, if you offer nothing worthwhile, then maintaining a contribution account would be not even be worth it.

I consider that anyone who wants to promote a concept of asking for donations on a site, then just do it. It is their right to do so. Just give me a link so I can have a look at your offerings.