Question: Pay for AutoIt?

Mhz and I discussed this some time ago, and I haven't really touched base with him about it since...but the main idea was to setup a PayPal account or the like & simply use an honor system, where if you chose to use a script you would donate like a $1 or so per script or maybe for a collection...hehe nothing is firm or really penned out...just looking to get the idea out there and see if it holds water.

So would any one be up for this...or would you prefer to just wait for when ever MHz and I kick some thing out the door of our own accord? (heh which in my case has been a long time in the wait)

Mhz and I discussed this some time ago, and I haven't really touched base with him about it since...but the main idea was to setup a PayPal account or the like & simply use an honor system, where if you chose to use a script you would donate like a $1 or so per script or maybe for a collection...hehe nothing is firm or really penned out...just looking to get the idea out there and see if it holds water.

So would any one be up for this...or would you prefer to just wait for when ever MHz and I kick some thing out the door of our own accord? (heh which in my case has been a long time in the wait)

No thx, all things here are free.

They even removed xplode once from the board when they started to ask money for it.

Edited by muiz

Well they won't have to do that for my scripts since I have already removed them...or at least the bulk of them.

Touting free, and then issuing a hidden threat, doesn't fly with me.

My freebies are over at this point.

urie -

Correct same goes for BTS and a few others.

ScubaSteve -

Incorrect this forum was to share information, not things. How ever its understandable how you came to that idea since things over time did start to appear.

Tell me Scuba...have you created any thing here...or are you just a leach like most people here? I'd guess a leach since your stats state your mainly active in the Software Hangout forum.

Well there is certainly less to leach now, than there was prior. :)

I have created a few different things that are posted on here and are all hosted on my webhost for ppl to download freely. Also just so u know i dont actually use any AutoIT Scripts at all. The only thing ppl tend to use AutoIT for are installers and seeing as all of my installers for my unattended disc i have repackaged to be silent ( Apart from FFD Show, Quicktime, Real Player Codecs )

where if you chose to use a script you would donate like a $1 or so per script or maybe for a collection...

The way you have phrased that makes it sound like if someone uses a script then they HAVE to donate $1. I would have no problem if you were simply to just put a donate button or something to that effect. Im not entirely sure how you intend to do this but creating scripts and then posting links to them on this board and making ppl have to pay (even if it is only $1) would really be classed as spam in my eyes.

Yeah you got it right if some one did decide to use one of my scripts that I list as retail they would be expected to honor the $1 per script or what ever the fee would be setup as.

That certainly doesn't mean they can't try the script, to see if it works as expected...since it would be by all means try before you buy.

No it most certainly would not be classed as spam, do you even know what that term means?

Yes i have a very good understanding of what spam is even though it does have multiple definitions.

Maybe you dont see it that way because you're the one who is going to try and profit from it but if you were to post links to scripts up on the forums and then force ppl to "donate" $1 to download them then that would most certainly be classed as spam. :)

As i said in my previous post. If you were to simply "ask" ppl to donate if they liked your script then there would be no harm in that at all.

Also i forgot to point out in my last post that it's spelt Leech not Leach. If you're going to try and use petite insults atleast make sure you know how they're spelt. ;)

Edited by ScubaSteve

You're creating your own argument, plain and simple, by asserting things that are frankly never stated.

You assume that links would be placed here...that was never stated.

You assume that some how I'll be chasing down people with thugs or lawyers forcing people at gun point or the like...that was also never stated.

No I think you have no real heart behind "ask" I think you really mean "beg" don't you.

The only real difference between Donations and Honor is that with Honor one is expected to pay if they like and used a product...with Donations end users can feel less like thieves when they don't pay for some one's hard work...thats really what it amounts to.

Ahh well if you need to break out with the spelling book then your more childish than I was first lead to believe.

Those silent installers you make...do you distribute them? If so...did you ask permission to do so of the authors of the programs. Also did you ask if you could repackage their products as well...or did you simply dismiss the author's right to control what is rightfully theirs?

Edited by Nologic

You assume that some how I'll be chasing down people with thugs or lawyers forcing people at gun point or the like...that was also never stated.

No I think you have no real heart behind "ask" I think you really mean "beg" don't you.

LOL, now your just being stupid.

It would be alot easier if you actually explained just how you intend on setting up this "honour" scheme. Judging by what you said about the difference between honour/donate it seems like the only difference is that you want the ppl that don't pay the $1 to feel like they have done something wrong. The sad truth is that the ppl that don't want to pay the $1 wont actually care.

You'll also find that it was you that started with the petite insults, i merely pointed out that if you're going to try and be that childish to atleast make sure you spell it correctly.

No the silent installers i created are for my own personal use as they contain my registry details and personal settings. Yes i have made sure that i am allowed to repackage the software installation in order to include my own settings for my unattended cd.

Now could you actually explain in detail how this honour system is going to work, that way more ppl will be able to comment on what they think of it.

Hmm well you certainly seem to take me and the rest of the forum as simple minded with your continued feeble attempts to make your own argument.

The questions put forth were if people would be willing to pay and if so at what price point.

Getting your silly rubber stamp of approval has no bearing on any thing, not method of sale, not web site design, nor server location…not any thing.

You have already shown repeatedly that you haven’t a care or for that matter any scope of knowledge on the matter when it comes to AutoIt.

Your naïve attempt at self importance falls flat in my eyes, and probably in those of others as well.

You don’t use AutoIt so point blank your input has little value to me or others…really at this point all your managing to do is drive way a possible resource for others, that they them selves could have a say in…instead here you are some outsider running a muck trying to boost their own ego.

Very few here will pay anything for any of your scripts!

I'm not saying that your effort shouldn't be rewarded, simply that everyone seems to want everything for nothing.

Now you seem to have suggested that you have removed the majority of your scripts from the forum and now would like to be rewarded for their use. If people want to reward you, then great, but only for new scripts. I don't think that you should charge for your original scripts which were done for others freely in the first place.

Also, and this is not meant with any detriment to anyone here, the vast majority of your customer base are installing illegal pirated warez. If they are not paying for their applications why would they want to pay you for yours?

Now try answering some of the previous questions on how you intend to work and /or police this scheme.

How do you stop the, I'll try your script, like it, not pay you for it, PM all my buddies with a link to it on rapidshare brigade?

Sorry to say it Nologic but you're just making an a** of yourself now by making such big assumptions. I have infact used AutoIT quite a few times in the past to automate tasks for me.

You asked for ppls opinions on the subject and i gave one. Just because you didn't like it you dont have to throw some childish fit and try to attack me with petite insults.

Now i suggest you simply answer the question that you have been asked multiple times now.

Describe exactely how you intend on implementing this "honour" scheme of yours so that more ppl will be able to comment on it.