[Question] Test legality of product keys

eyeball

Hi all,

just wondering does anyone know of a way (remotely if possible) of testing the legality of an installed windows or office key? is there someway to use the same sort of mechanism that WGA uses to determine if a key is legal or not?

thanks

Edited by Gouki

Just try to download Windows Defender.

They (MS) check the legallity of your registration before the download is permitted.

Why would you even question your key, unless you bought or otherwise acquired your OS from a disreputable source?

There are however, hacked versions of XP, out there that pass all MS tests. :yes:

I saw one, once.

Nuff said about that.

But I've never heard of anyone writing a program to check for key validity.

I would assume that only MS would have the ability to do that, since only they have the master key list.

Have a great day,

Andromeda43 B)

the reason i ask is so that if my company gets a new client and wants to see how many legal keys they have then we can use one of the methods described :)

thanks for the help :D

why is the legality of your clients' keys any of your business?

i know what you're really thinking, but it's impossible to bruteforce your way to a legit key.

even if there was ZERO latency in the process of checking the key validity i bet it would take your computer a week to find a good one.

and of course your ip would be blacklisted from connecting to the server within like 5 minutes of hammering and you'd probably get sued for denial of service

hey how do you know what im really thinking?!! i need this for a client that we are looking at upgrading, but without knowing how legal they are we cannot take them on and takes risks if they have pirate windows or office. so stfu

... i know what you're really thinking ...

I wish I was that good! It's hard enough for me to know what I am really thinking ...

For XP, you could try the GenuineCheck.exe program, made for those who do not want to install the ActiveX used on the web pages. I don't have a link, but if you do not have the ActiveX on your machine (remove it if you do), and try to download something like Windows Defender, you will have the choice to use the "Alternate" authentification method. This will allow you to download GenuineCheck.exe. From there, I am not sure about doing it remotely, but it requires no installation. Perhaps using some tool to run on a remote registry? Give it a try, and post your findings!

ophiel - don't make assumptions of things you cannot, by any means, know! Especially when it involves legal issues.

This is the last time I'm warning you to behave on this board!

thanks a lot for the link to the exe, you have given me an idea :thumbup

i could install this silently via login script and allow people to go about their business as usual and then ask how many have been told they have illegal windows if any? or just wait to see how many complain lol

that could work i suppose :D