How to create a Winpe 2.0(vista) with Explorer Enabled.

unknwon

do not use winbuilder it completely destroyed my bartpe 3110a directory. after dling all of the plug-ins it deleted my bartpe in its entirety and uploaded my xpsp2 key to an unknown website. not a good utility

And merely stating not to use something is not constructive.

While I build everything manualy I have used Nuno's Winbuilder just to check it out. And if your looking for something similar to Barts PE then that is the closest thing your going to find at this time. I suggest you ask for help using it as opposed to blatantly just saying for anyone else to not use it.

• 7 months later...

Why do you want to have all that hard work on your own? :blink:

Explorer, MMC, IE and many other features like WIFI and such have all been scripted.

If you need a guide - read the scripts. If you don't understand the scripts then I'm afraid that a guide wouldn't help you much as you'd still need a lot previous experience debugging these sort of boot disks to avoid hardcoded paths and understand where things can go wrong - are you sure that this is what you want?

:)

It's easy to start, look on the project site, there's a quick guide:

1. Download the latest version of VistaPE project and start "winbuilder.exe";

2. Open "Paths" tab in WinBuilder and browse to the folder with Windows Vista or WAIK files (Source directory);

3. Click on the "Play" button to start Building "VistaPE".

http://www.vistape.net/vistape-quickstart.html

You can get the full VistaPE project from the download center inside winbuilder.exe

I recommend that you first try the "base" VistaPE that doesn't come with too many features and then download more from the download center as you get more comfortable working with wb and ensure that you always get a working build.

If you have more doubts then you're welcome to place on the respective VistaPE forum where myself or other folks can help to explain these things.

No. You are likely building "your" Windows PE 2.x from the WAIK alone and you will need the Vista Install files to add features like IE and Explorer that don't come available by default on the WAIK as you might imagine.. :whistle:

You can use the WAIK but then you wouldn't have explorer or IE unless you added them manually by yourself as described above.

The simplest possible way to get everything you need in a automated fashion is to simply use VistaPE as intended with a Windows Vista install DVD that will do all these tasks for you.

Nuno,

I was looking at the explorer script. I would like to get to know the bare bones of what the scripts are doing...... I'm assuming that just by having the Vista install.wim file I can make everything happen? If I look at the script and see regwrites then you are writing things to the mount reg hive? And you are copying files from the install.wim to your mounted winpe.wim? So when it says CreateDir then you are creating one..... If I can copy all the files and make the registry edits as the script shows then I should have a working explorer? No offence to the great work and time put into VistaPE it looks great and is very awesome. I just want to know the bare bones of what the scripts do.

Is there an easy app that you would recommend that I can test with as to how I can get it to work?

In the scripts it make referene to unpack a 7z file. What is being done here?

Edited by Eagle710

I'm assuming that just by having the Vista install.wim file I can make everything happen?

Sort of. Depending on the features you need, the complexity is variable so I'd say that you *can* "make everything happen" but sometimes it takes too much work to do it by hand - especially if you need to repeat the process one day.

If I look at the script and see regwrites then you are writing things to the mount reg hive?

In most cases yes. In particular situations you can only add some registry settings when the system is booting, these are designated RegAddBoot on the scripts.

And you are copying files from the install.wim to your mounted winpe.wim?

I'm not the author of VistaPE, I just keep track of their developments. On this case, all files are assembled on a external folder and then packed into a new wim file when every all other build steps are concluded.

Imagine it a bit like building a lego house from scratch.

If I can copy all the files and make the registry edits as the script shows then I should have a working explorer?

Besides being time consuming you'd be left with more time consuming tasks trying to figure why "x" feature doesn't work or how to get the "Classic" start menu or some other details.

This is the reason why we've scripted it in the first place - to avoid making the changes manually, especially when you're perfecting the boot disk image.

I just want to know the bare bones of what the scripts do.

From my experience, I'd recommend that you first try the automated tools and only then start working on manual customization to learn from what is being done specifically with your chosen settings and windows install source.

It will save you time to get an initial boot disk image with the scripts. You can later use the resulting image to customize it manually.

Nuno,

Thanks for the replies. Any word on what the big lines of code under the 7z file name is?

Is everything in VistaPE free to use? Meaning I can use some pieces of it and modify it to my taste/liking?

What file browser is built into VistaPE..... I want to get Windows Explorer(file browser).... doesn't seem to work......

Thanks for the replies. Any word on what the big lines of code under the 7z file name is?

One feature about scripts is that you can include binary files inside them. These files are encoded inside the text in a similar fashion to how an email message contains file attachments.

Is everything in VistaPE free to use? Meaning I can use some pieces of it and modify it to my taste/liking?

Totally free.

What file browser is built into VistaPE..... I want to get Windows Explorer(file browser).... doesn't seem to work......

Look on the screenshots, they show windows explorer. With windowblinds it looks even cooler.

If you're using the WAIK from MS instead of the Vista DVD install folder then you don't get the windows explorer because WAIK doesn't has the needed files.

If your boot disk doesn't start with explorer - look on the scripts and look on the available settings, maybe something needs being selected right - by default it will use the explorer shell when you use the project for the first time without changing nothing.

If you're using the WAIK from MS instead of the Vista DVD install folder then you don't get the windows explorer because WAIK doesn't has the needed files.

Nuno,

I have the MS WAIK 2 and I am trying to copy files from the install.wim of a Vista DVD. Does this make sense so far??? I want to get regular Windows Explorer not BS explorer.

• 1 year later...