How to create a Winpe 2.0(vista) with Explorer Enabled.

unknwon

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not posting much on this site, been busy working on a different project that has been eating all my time.

Currently reworking my instructions for enabling Explorer with Winpe 2.0..Seems that Microsoft changed some of the Registry keys on the RC2 build to prevent Explorer from running correctly. Currently it only it loads the desktop and icons ok, but you can`t than launch another explorer to browse the drives.

As soon a i correct these problems i`ll be releasing a new tool to build the pe image.

UpDATE: ok, doubled checked my instructions against a RC1 release, everything worked correctly. Use the same script against a RC2 release and i can `t get explorer to load correctly. Also tried using hte registry settings from RC1 with the files from RC2, still have the same problem, so it would seem that microsoft changed some code in the files to prevent us from running explorer with WINPE, seems i`ll have to start some file compares..

Edited by unknwon

• 1 month later...

@unknown

On the older builds of the OPK, do you have the list of files that are needed to get explorer enabled on WinPE 2.0?

Also was trying to get native wifi service up in WinPE 2.0 - any pointers to that?

Thanks,

Rohit

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone.

Hope no one minds if I revive a semi-old thread. I work for a decent sized company and we have previously supported a few PXE servers for deploying images. In this case however, neither myself nor the other tech in charge if this task is familiar with RIS. We are giving WDS a try, and so far have been able to get it working (though as of right now it takes slightly longer than our alternatives).

Essentially my question is: We would like to create a custom boot.wmi for use with our PXE on the WDS server so we can use the PXE to boot into the boot image and access explorer and whatnot and use wdscapture.exe / ghost32.exe / virus scanners / etc. with a fully working network

I don't know if this is supported so please correct me or admin edit my post if I am breaking any rules.

What I have done: I followed the directions to make it boot, and I added nu2menu and the winpeshl.ini to point to the nu2menu rather than using explorer. I edited the xml file and moved my own apps that I wanted on there and so far everything is working lovely. My problem now is that I cannot access the network and that is where I reach my stalemate. I am still looking into this but I figured I could post and get some help.

(another problem is it is currently at 300megs so I need to slim it down -- boot time off network is 4minutes30seconds -- no good)

Thanks!

-Brennen

sorry for my lengthy post

Edited by Brennen

Nightman has already succeeded on creating an automated creation/modification process for building these PE 2.0 images using explorer as shell from ISO's that go from 60 Mb to 200Mb depending on what you need to add.

Here's a list of scripts already available to add:

http://vistape.boot-land.net/eng/plugins.html

And the support forum for vistaPE where more information can be found regarding PXE:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/VistaPE-f51.html

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/boot-WinPE...-PXE-t1220.html

Good luck and have fun! :thumbup

• 9 months later...

Look on the VistaPE forum discussion and see how explorer is implemented under WinPE 2.0 using all versions of Vista Install DVD.

It would be good to create a tutorial explaining all the steps but this process has already been completely automated over an year ago and people there are even moving to much more extensive functionality without requiring manual steps.

:)

• 1 month later...

Nuno,

I have read this post several times and visited the links you provided. I have download VistaPE and Winbuilder and followed the directions and I end up with a Bootable CD. From that point, I am lost.

I have tried reading all the help files and overviews, but the more I read the more confused I am getting.

Here is my goal:

I would like to build a lite boot cd to suit 2 purposes. Allow the user to create a new computer object in Active Directory and then deploy a Symantec Ghost image from the a network location to the workstation.

Please let me know if you feel I could make use of the VistaPE environment or if I am better off just building a WinPE CD and using an HTA interface.

Thank you,

Geemail

• 1 month later...

Nuno,

Well, I have not had any success in getting any Remote In capability. I would like to move toward testing VistaPe but I have so much invested in the WAIK build, I just cant justify the transition at this time.

I appreciate the follow up and will be sure to contact you down the road when time allows me to look into VistaPE.

Take care

• 2 weeks later...

do not use winbuilder it completely destroyed my bartpe 3110a directory. after dling all of the plug-ins it deleted my bartpe in its entirety and uploaded my xpsp2 key to an unknown website. not a good utility

You're certainly not talking about WinBuilder.

What has WinPE2.0 to do with BartPE in the first place?

Would you point out to the page that instructs you to place WinBuilder inside a bartPE folder?

Both are very distinct projects that have little to nothing in similar.

The VistaPE project which uses WinBuilder as engine to create boot disks will copy files using as source a Windows Vista Install DVD or WAIK, nothing to do with Windows XP SP2 nor there would be any interest in uploading license keys to anywhere.

WinBuilder is being developed for some years now and if you bother to read the documentation then you'd quickly discover that it would not do the things you mention.

http://boot-land.net/winbuilder/help

-----------

I find it very strange that the first post of member is used to write such critics, especially when they are presented without any valid arguments.

VistaPE is an excellent tool to customize a WinPE 2.x image and does a very good job in providing a full Explorer shell in a completely automated way that keeps being improved with time.

Do check the discussion forums: http://www.boot-land.net/forums/VistaPE-f51.html

If you are interested in replying back - please detail exactly from where you downloaded this "winbuilder" of yours that brought such harm to your computer, otherwise your comment will fall in the category of obvious difamation which is against the rules of this forum.

The official web page for WinBuilder is this one: http://winbuilder.net

:)