[Question] Problems with NTFS permissions

hbinded

Hi, I have a problem with my NTFS permissions. Everytime I install windows, my other drives lose their permissions and I have to go through the long process of reconfiguring them. This was due to some guy's mistake; he messed up my NTFS permissions, which I never even bothered to touch.

Now, is there some way of restoring them to how they were? I mean, after a re-install, I dont have to set them again on my other drives.

google didn't give that much help.

Thanks!

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

Please follow XP Forum Rules from now on.

--Sonic

This is a shot in the dark, but there is a program called "Dial-A-Fix" which in the Tools section of it, there is an option to "repair permissions". So just Google that program, download it, and try that.

If you can be more specific informatively, that would help moreso, thanks.

Why not to set "All users" to full control ? Future reinstall will be okay ...

I've tried that, but everytime I re-install after a format of the C:\ drive (which is almost once a week due to testing unattended multiboot installs! :thumbup ), I always have to re-issue the permissions.

I personally use Security Explorer to backup/restore/change permissions, because (as you've found out) they don't survive a reinstall of the OS.

http://www.scriptlogic.com/products/securityexplorer/

So, could you give me a short guide on using this tool.......wait! I'll read the help file and see if they've got some fourms. :P

This tool is actually pretty easy to use without reading the destructions if you already understand NTFS permissions. It even allows you to do some things you can't do otherwise in the GUI of Windows (like pushing a permission down a tree or a set of folders in a tree, or removing a permission from a tree or a set of folders in a tree, without touching any other permissions at all - the main reason I purchased). Try the 30-day trial if you're seriously considering it, to see if it's something you'll find a regular use for.

Edited by cluberti

In this day and "Age of Enlightenment", why on earth are you constantly reformatting your HD and reinstalling windows?

Whether moving to a new HD or just fixing "things", NEVER do a windows install again.

It's totally NOT necessary! :no:

Wouldn't that be like buying shoes two sizes too small?

Or likewise with your shorts. (constant wedgie! Ouch!)

I guess if you're into pain, reformatting and reloading windows would be your 'piece of cake'.

But, as for myself, I don't like pain and I don't like reformatting and reloading Windows and all those crazy drivers. It's bad enough that I have to occasionally do that for one of my customers.

All you need is to get your OS all set up with the settings you need, the protection software you want and the data files you need and then make yourself an Image file of your C: drive and burn it to a bootable CD or DVD. On my "Hal 9000" :lol: and my SATA drive, :yes: that takes me all of four minutes. :thumbup

((Sorry, that's for a Image to a second HD....an Image to DVD takes about a half hour))

Then when you need to do a full restore of your C: drive, you just pop in the DVD and run the restore routine (also on the DVD) and in a few short minutes you're right back where you were when you made the disk.

I've been using this technique for many years and I've never had to reformat.......EVER!

I still have backup image files going back six years. I still have my old 98/SE backup image.

I store Image files on a Second HD for a quickie restore if needed and on DVD for a restore from a total disaster, like fire, hurricane or theft. I keep a current DVD restore disk in a friends safe, 20 miles away.

I've spent hours detailing my process here and in other forums and have suffered endless harang from the unbelievers and naysayers. If you're seriously interested in using my technique, I'll help you get started.

It will cost you nothing.

Just drop me a PM.

Andromeda43 B)

Edited by Andromeda43

You can re-set owner & rights to your data in command line too. Here is my example

@echo off
Color CF
takeown /A /R /D O /F D: >NUL
xcacls D: /G Sonic:F SYSTEM:F "Tout le Monde":R /T /C /Y >NUL

echo MaJ "Priv‚e" ...
xcacls "D:\Documents" /E /D Invit‚ /T /C >NUL
xcacls "D:\Games\-= Games =-" /E /D Invit‚ /T /C >NUL
xcacls "D:\Games\Halo" /E /D Invit‚ /T /C >NUL
xcacls "D:\Games\NFS Underground" /E /D Invit‚ /T /C >NUL
xcacls "D:\Games\Steam" /E /D Invit‚ /T /C >NUL
xcacls "D:\Games\UT2004" /E /D Invit‚ /T /C >NUL
xcacls "D:\Games\WarCraft III" /E /D Invit‚ /T /C >NUL
xcacls "D:\Games\Trackmania Sunrise\Default.SystemConfig.Gbx" /E /D Invit‚ /T /C >NUL
xcacls "D:\AutoWindows" /E /D Invit‚ /T /C >NUL

You need to download xcacls & takeown, I can post it too ... That code retake folders, and set all data to all users (in my example, it's French lang.) and I set some folders to private access, disable from network browsing ...

I've been using this technique for many years and I've never had to reformat.......EVER!

I still have backup image files going back six years. I still have my old 98/SE backup image.

I store Image files on a Second HD for a quickie restore if needed and on DVD for a restore from a total disaster, like fire, hurricane or theft. I keep a current DVD restore disk in a friends safe, 20 miles away.

Andromeda43 B)

he he he. 20 Miles??? that's kinda too far away, in case of real emergencies! But it sound's good. ding ding on your mailbox!

• 1 month later...

Yup 20 miles.

(Many people put their backup DVD's in a safe deposit box in thier bank.)

That's my "Hurricane" image. For a quickie restore I always have an image only a few days old on my backup hard drive. Then I always have an image not more than a week old on a DVD in my own safe.

Remember, the only BAD backup is the one you were too lazy, or too busy to make. :whistle:

When I have just a little "Ooooops" I just use System Restore. When the problem is too large for System-Restore to fix it, I then resort to a Ghost Restore from my last Image file.

That takes all of four minutes or so, from my backup drive to my C: (SATA) drive.

I too try lots of new programs for my Computer Security Business. Sometimes they don't work as advertised, so Ghost is the way to get rid of them with NO leftovers to worry about. :rolleyes:

Blessings all around, :thumbup

Andromeda43 B)