W2K3 workstation folder sharing problem

royco

Hi,

I did the Workstation convertion of W2K3, everything woks fine. Its just that I cant share a folder that can be accessed by another computer on the network without asking for a login/password. I followed the guide step by step except for the uxthemes part. I did it on 2 machines running W2k3 wrkstations and it keeps asking for a login/password before it can access the shared folder. I set the permissions to everyone with full control. I dont have Active Directory running. Is this something to do with the user setup in the workstation guide?

I think Im just missing the obvious. Any ideas?

Thanks

I made some research and it seems that the anonymous logon was dropped in W2K3 for added security. But they have some article in technet to allow it by applying the anonymous logogn group to the everyone group in the local security policy, tried it but still does'nt work.

All I need is to setup a shared public folder that can be accessed by anyone without a login or user name setup on the local computer. In W2k if you setup the shared folder to full control by "everyone" ur all set.

Any other ideas?

I'm out of ideas, but as a last resort you could set up an FTP Server (Microsofts, Bulletproof, or Serv-U).

The other computers would only need the shortcut such as: ftp://username:password@computername:21 and will not prompt for the password that way. This can also be added as a Network Place in My Network Places instead of a shortcut too.

I think I got it, Im just missing the obvious. Turn on the guest account and add it in the permissions and security tabs for that particular shared folder.( what was i thinking??)

Sorry to bother u guys, thanks for the replies.