[Help!] SATA driver not copying over during Win XP Pro Installtion

jackvoodoo

ok, so i have a Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro 2 Rev. 1 motherboard. I have two Maxtor SATA HD, 40gb main drive and 200gb Storage drive.

I have reformated my HD a bunch of times before this and had no problems, it's basically routine for me.

Basically, many of you probably knows this, to load the SATA driver for the HD for a newly formated HD is to load it with a floppy during the Window's Setup process.

I press the F6 to install the third party driver for SATA drive, it loads. I proceed to format my C: drive. But after it does the formating, the Setup has to creat a list of files to be copied over to the HD. It needs to copy 4 files over from the floppy. It doesn't copy. I can skip the files but obviously, the installiton just won't complete. I have no idea why this time it decides to not copy the files over from the floppy. I've went out to get new floppies from CompUSA, used different versions of the XP Pro and it all gives me the same error. I have no idea what to do. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

how do you do that? from what i can remember right now ( at school at the moment, not at home) the SATA gives me two options, RAID and BASE. I have BASE enabled because i didn't need RAID and that BASE was acting more like an IDE.

Where do you think the option might be? or do I even have one?

when entering bios, press ctrl + F1. that gives you a more extended set of bios options. then go to advanced bios settings and there set sata as enhanced. make sure you leave BASe enabled. good luck and let me know if it works. cheers.

just a quick question from a outside observer:

i also have a sata that i'm using as IDE. i was wondering if you use it as a RAID, is it faster?

Which option gives you faster speed?

I tried the RAID method and I couldn't get drive to be recognized. I wasn't sure what drivers I needed so I gave up and just started using it as an IDE. Works fine but was just wondering if I can increase speed.

I would consider using NLite to integrate the S-ATA textmode drivers from the floppy directly into your install disk.

This would negate the need for the F6 and floppy drive completely, and pre-install the S-ATA drivers into your build CD.

the driver loads, but doesn't copy when Setup creats "the list of file to be copied." that's where I have the problem

And that is exactly the symptom when ----------- OEMpreinstall=yes -------- which is explained in the link.