laptop as monitor

I have my desktop with two monitors, but I am running out of screen space, so is it possible to network it with my laptop and use my laptop as a third monitor? Also, is it possible to remotly control computers in my network from my main one? Thanks

ok, I just had another question that I couldnt remember when typing the above questions, is there a way to execute a program on another computer, but have the program's i/o be on my main one, so I open firefox, it would be using another computer's resources?

For the laptop... it'd have to have a video input, which is quite a rare feature for a laptop to have.

It is possible to control computers over the network, c.f. VNC and some remote-access trojans generally considered to be malware.

Terminal Server.

About the remote application stuff, check out 2X Application Server. Currently they are gving out a free 5 application license. Hurry before they decide to scrap it. :D

Here's the link:

http://www.2x.com/applicationserver/application-publishing.htm

BTW, it can only run on Windows Server 2003/2000 with terminal server installed

Edited by bluhound

This is how Win2VNC works. You have two computers each with their own monitor. The two monitors are physically very close together -- similar to a dual monitor configuration. Since you have limited desk space, you don't want to also have two sets of keyboards and mice.

Now, you would run a VNC sever (I prefer UltraVNC) on your 'secondary' computer and Win2VNC on your primary computer. You configure Win2VNC so that is knows if the secondary monitor is to the left or to the right of your primary monitor (the actual terminology is West & East). When you move your mouse all they over to the right edge, for example, Win2VNC will notice this.

What happens now is that Win2VNC starts sending keyboard & mouse events to the secondary computer's VNC server. When you move it back to the left edge of the 2nd monitor, Win2VNC stops intercepting these events.

The final result is that you get to control two computers with only one keyboard and mouse. Since it is not sending video, it is very fast. You can not even tell that your keyboard & mouse events are being transmitted over a network.

-John