What to do with ntprint.cat and spX.cat ?

Camarade_Tux

Thanks for your test. I'll do some others asap.

btw, nuhi, nlite calls makecab that way, right ?

makecab /D CompressionMemory=21 /D CompressionType=LZX ntprint.inf

Another idea I recently got was to upx some files. (got the idea when using a BartPE CD)

I wonder if it will lower memory usage (cache and memory footprint) and how it will impact on CPU usage.

Some files can be upxed for sure (winmine.exe, dxdiag.exe, sol.exe...), some others may not (shell32.dll, explorer.exe)

UPX made shell32.dll switch from 8.01MB to 2.69MB with -9 switch when shell32.dl_ is 2.50MB. (btw, don't use "upx file --best --all-filters --all-methods" instead of "upx file -9", it is MUCH slower [20 times at least] and doesn't bring better compression)

Edited by Camarade_Tux

Just cabbed the files minigun told but now my XP is in english !

I used a different version of HFSlip and an updated hotfix so it may be unrelated.

Start button it still named "Démarrer" and most programs are still in French. Maybe something in winnt.sif. :?

See next post.

I'll check that.

Also, (still using only nLite's sfc_os.dll patching), I was able to install XP with ntprint.cat and sp1.cat cabbed.

I removed ntprint.cat and two warnings popped up, but installation did not stop. I only got a complain in Event Viewer.

I was maybe able to delete sp1.cat because I don't have any "sp1.cab" as it got merged into driver.cab thanks to hfslip.

I'll try without cab merging in a second.

Edited by Camarade_Tux

here is a nice update... you can replace SP2.CAT with a blank version saving 0.99MB :thumbup

also works for ntprint.cat (210KB)

but doesnt work with NT5.cat or nt5inf.cat (setup complains)

Edited by minigun

heres a quick batch to compress the files and delte the old

change the directory you have the files in...

@echo off
cd\location_of_nlited_windows_files\i386
makecab intl.inf intl.in_
makecab ntprint.inf ntprint.in_
makecab DBGHELP.DLL DBGHELP.DL_
makecab ntdll.dll ntdll.dl_
makecab imagehlp.dll imagehlp.dl_
makecab exts.dll exts.dl_
makecab regedit.exe regedit.ex_

del /Q /F intl.inf
del /Q /F ntprint.inf
del /Q /F DBGHELP.DLL
del /Q /F ntdll.dll
del /Q /F regedit.exe
del /Q /F exts.dll
del /Q /F imagehlp.dll
del /Q /F SP2.CAT
del /Q /F ntprint.cat

exit

all you need to do is make 2 blank files one called SP2.CAT (thats if you integrate SP2) and one called ntprint.cat

Edited by minigun

Use

makecab /D CompressionMemory=21 /D CompressionType=LZX ntprint.inf

instead of simple makecab, compression will be higher and not much longer. ;)

Also, don't forget you need SFC/WFP to be disabled.

Right now, I'm searching which files present in i386 and in driver.cab can be deleted from i386.

Also, I'm wondering if some files we would like to cab are not needed for recovery console or such things.

(afaik, regedit CANNOT run while windows is in textmode)

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking compressing some dll files may cause problems with recovery console.

It's possible but not sure at all since many .exe files simply don't run in PE environnement.

So it should be check imho.

Btw, there's a ntdll.dll file in I386\System32 and it seems it never gets updated. The one in I386 should overwrite that one. That would moreover save some space if -o switch is used to create the iso.

And I think it should not be cabbed it the one in I386\System32 can not be cabbed as well : cabbing it saves 400KB and if the other one is not cabbed you won't take advantage of -o and then it will cost 665KB; 665-400 = 265KB that are not saved.

I probably look weird with all my maths to get an iso smaller by 250KB. :lol:

I also wonder why is YAHOO.BMP not removed with nLite : 4KB. :w00t:

You don't look weird with your 250KB saved when you're adding tons of KBxxxxxx...

Why nLite keeps YAHOO.BMP : turn the "H" 90° right (or left), it becomes an "=", put it in place of the point, that transforms in a coma, that moves after the "A", then scramble a bit the extension to make it "PBM", which is the short for "problem".

Now, write what you have, and you'll get toto's head when he tweaks his OS...

++

Edited by Delprat