What to do with ntprint.cat and spX.cat ?

Camarade_Tux

Hi,

Since I've managed to create a small, really up-to-date, stable iso, I'm trying things nLite doesn't (yet) offers.

I disable sfc but I noticed I had to keep ntprint.cat and spX.cat in I386.

As they are useless, couldn't it be emptied ?

On vorck.com, I found an empty sfcfiles.dll; it saves 1.3MB on my HD and a few KB on my disc.

Something similar would be nice IMHO.

If it's not possible, maybe it can be cabbed.

It would save 1MB.

Also, couldn't ntprint.inf also be cabbed.

Thanks. :)

ntprint.cat is removed with Printer Support, spx.cat shoudln't be removed if you want clean setuperr.log...or even installation...can't comment on that, haven't tried it in a long time.

If you want you can make CAT list of unneeded files after SFC has been disabled and I'll be happy to automatically remove them (if one uses components page).

But what about people who enable SFC after install ... hmm maybe to forget this idea?

Yes but if I want to keep Printer support ?

I removed their drivers but I still need them. :/

Why do you mean exactly by this ?

If you want you can make CAT list of unneeded files after SFC has been disabled and I'll be happy to automatically remove them (if one uses components page).

And how could I do it ?

There's something I don't really understand : spx.cat only contains signatures for files updated with this special SP. Am I wrong ?

So spx.cat is needed for files which have been updated, but not others. Then we can think there's a way to make XP not check updated files' signature by telling it files are RTM (does it implies a version equal to 5.1.2600 ?, is there a file to hack so it bypass this check ?).

:?

People who enable SFC after install are bad people. :P

Seriously ?

I don't know.

What Nuhi is saying is that you should test weather your system still operates substantially after removing the files you've mentioned...

If they do then let him know what files you removed, and he may implement it into the next release of nlite.

Don't just delete the files, use nlite to remove them.

Camarade_Tux - If you are running NLITE on an HFSLIP'd source, make sure you select the driver merge option (A, B or C) in HFSLIP. This will reduce your filecount and i386 folder size when running NLITE.

antonio king, "[mode w4RRi0r=ON]" stood for "I am Rambo, I can do what I want and I'll dig once more into that XP :sound-of-a-weapon-being-reloaded"

;)

tommyp, I once said cab merging created problems with nLite. Forget about it, there's absolutely no problem and now I use it in all my isos (C because nLite will have to decompress/recompress it)

Now, I just need VMWare. :P

1- ntprint.cat and sp1.cat can be cabbed without problem, at least when sfc is disabled. This saves 1.2MB.

Next : see if ntprint.inf and intl.inf can be cabbed (would save 1.7MB)

edit: vmware installed correctly once I change %TEMP% and %TMP% to a path with no space in it. :angry:

Edited by Camarade_Tux

on XP pro SP2 ntrpint.cat and sp2.cat cant be cabbed... it gives me a BSOD right at the end of install...

the dummy sfcfiles.dll worked though :)

Edited by minigun

after SFC disable ,i had remove SP2.CAT and working profect..

ntprint.cat and ntprint.inf also can cabbed.but i am not test remove ntprint.cat and cabed intl.inf

what sfc_os.dll patch?? the one in nlite?? i had that selected

also tested some more... its the cabbed SP2.cat that causes the blue screen giving the error inacessible boot device

tested more... ntprint.inf and intl.inf can be cabbed

another test and another edit... DBGHELP.DLL can be cabbed saving 333KB on disk :P

ntdll.dll in i386 folder can be cabbed but the one in i386\system32\ must remain uncabbed

autochk.exe and autofmt.exe must remain un cabbed

regedit.exe, exts.dll, imagehlp.dll can be cabbed

Edited by minigun