Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Sign in to follow this  
Go2doug

Trying to deploy patched Adobe Acrobat

I successfully created a GPO to push Acrobat 7.0. Now I would like to patch the MSI file so that the computers in the OU will get Acrobat 7.0.7, not just 7.0. This is proving to be very difficult, however.

I have the following folders set up on the Windows 2000 SP4 server:

\\server_name\Acrobat7Standard\Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard\AcroStan.msi

\\server_name\Acrobat7Standard\7.0.5 Patch\Ac705StVP_efgj.msp

\\server_name\Acrobat7Standard\7.0.7 Patch\Acro707.msp

I tried running some commands that I found on other webpages but all they do is make a "Windows Installer" box appear containing some various switches and options that you can use. I tested the installation process at bootup and it's still not pushing v7.0.7.

This is a volume license installation using a volume license key; do I need volume license patches to go with it? If so, where could I get them?

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

I find that on my pc, I can't use

blahblah.msi /whateverswitch

and I have to do

msiexec /whateverswitch blahblah.msi /anotherswitch?

I am going to assume that %acrobat% is the location

msiexec /p %acrobat7.0.5patch%\Ac705StVP_efgj.msp /a %admin_installation%\AcroStan.msi

Then patch your patched Acrobat

msiexec /p %acrobat7.0.7patch\Acro707.msp /a %admin_installation%\AcroStan.msi

Make sure your installation is a server image!

Just in case...

msiexec /a %acrobat_original_installdir%\AcroStan.msi

I'm not too sure if you can make a server image on a standard version of Acrobat.

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately I'm still having the same error.

I have tried running the following commands, and all that happens is a "Windows Installer" box appears and then disappears when I hit OK (see attachment). Any ideas? Thanks.

msiexec /p E:\Acrobat7Standard\7.0.5 Patch\Ac705StVP_efgj.msp /a E:\Acrobat7Standard\Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard\AcroStan.msi

or

msiexec /p \\server_name\Acrobat7Standard\7.0.5 Patch\Ac705StVP_efgj.msp /a \\server_name\Acrobat7Standard\Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard\AcroStan.msi

Make installation a "server image":

msiexec /a \\server_name\Acrobat7Standard\Acrobat 7.0 CD contents\AcroStan.msi

or

msiexec /a E:\Acrobat7Standard\Acrobat 7.0 CD contents\AcroStan.msi

post-95220-1147101396_thumb.jpg

Try this....hope it helps...u can modify my example so that it achieves wht ure tryin 2do.

C:\707\Acro707.msp /a C:\AcroPro\AcroPro.msi /qb!

i ran this from the start>run

initially itried with msiexec and got the same window that u posted above. now it does nt

Eg

\\server_name\Acrobat7Standard\7.0.5 Patch\Ac705StVP_efgj.msp /a \\server_name\Acrobat7Standard\Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard\AcroStan.msi

or

\\server_name\Acrobat7Standard\7.0.5 Patch\Ac705StVP_efgj.msp /a \\server_name\Acrobat7Standard\Adobe Acrobat 7.0 Standard\AcroStan.msi

Edited by gelome

Gelome, you hooked me up!

I was able to finally achieve what I intended to do. I had to run these CLI commands on the server.

To update 7.0 MSI to 7.0.5:

E:\Acrobat7Standard\705Patch\Ac705StVP_efgj.msp /a E:\Acrobat7Standard\AdobeAcrobat70Standard\AcroStan.msi /qb!

7.0.5 to 7.0.7:

E:\Acrobat7Standard\707Patch\Acro707.msp /a E:\Acrobat7Standard\AdobeAcrobat70Standard\AcroStan.msi /qb!

No spaces and periods in UNC path! That fixed my problem.

After you update the MSI to 7.0.7, you must create a new transform file.