New 2k project

to use program manager from winnt 3.51 what do you need is a copy of progman.exe, comctl.dll and comdlg.dll, shell32.dll is used too (but it called shell.dll in win nt 3.51 isn't?)

btw there are a registry tweak that basically change the windows 2000 explorer.exe most-likely win95 explorer.exe shell (no webview,back button, address bar, folder customize, etc)

once more, i think its not a good idea to use winnt 3.51 shell (16-bit apps and maybe it can't work well in win2k or maybe a fully can't work and remember what IT Professional have said about the DUMP progman shell) better try to use bblean or bb4win, seem they have a clean interface like fluxbox on Linux

Edited by Dels

to use program manager from winnt 3.51 what do you need is a copy of progman.exe, comctl.dll and comdlg.dll, shell32.dll is used too (but it called shell.dll in win nt 3.51 isn't?)

btw there are a registry tweak that basically change the windows 2000 explorer.exe most-likely win95 explorer.exe shell (no webview,back button, address bar, folder customize, etc)

once more, i think its not a good idea to use winnt 3.51 shell (16-bit apps and maybe it can't work well in win2k or maybe a fully can't work and remember what IT Professional have said about the DUMP progman shell) better try to use bblean or bb4win, seem they have a clean interface like fluxbox on Linux

I think you are right. I would loose functionality as a result of this tweak. I wanted something clean and where everything is close at hand. A big plus would use less resources and keep functionality. Also be setup and ready to use upon install.

Do you know of a way to have bblean or bb4win setup from cd?

Thanx

Do you know of a way to have bblean or bb4win setup from cd?

logically you can do it

1. grab a copy of bblean/bb4win (i prefer bblean cause more stable), i prefer to grab a .zip version (installer version can cause some trouble)

2. extract it

3. copy the folder into $OEM$ folder in win2k source

4. go grab some registry tweak to change default shell as bblean and put it on runonce_ex.bat or cmdlines.text

Thanks I not good with $OEM$ but will give it a go. I think I can edit hive to make bblean default shell.

good to have you editing registry with hive :D

for example about $OEM$ that i talk was :

X:\W2K_SOURCE\$OEM$\$Progs\BBLean

then add something in runonce_ex.bat or in cmdlines.txt (sorry i never use it before) a command to run registry script with the registry of shell, you can export the default and edit it

reference : http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/849/

here is info on the nt 4 shell running on win2000. generally, it crashes a lot.

whoa, how if we use progman? maybe windows just simply don't want to login :D

here is info on the nt 4 shell running on win2000. generally, it crashes a lot.

whoa, how if we use progman? maybe windows just simply don't want to login :D

Oh Oh Does this mean it is very hard to make it work properly or simply wont work properly at all?

Tried bblean a little bit ago without any plugins, nice. Use a little more ram instead of less :blink: I am still experimenting.

Tried bblean a little bit ago without any plugins, nice. Use a little more ram instead of less I am still experimenting.

so? will you use it?

the main problem some people have with bblean is the fluxbox-like interface that can simply complicated for windows user :D

so if you can provide some theme that actually like windows interface (maybe xp or vista?) that would be better

Tried bblean a little bit ago without any plugins, nice. Use a little more ram instead of less I am still experimenting.

so? will you use it?

the main problem some people have with bblean is the fluxbox-like interface that can simply complicated for windows user :D

so if you can provide some theme that actually like windows interface (maybe xp or vista?) that would be better

Is there a way to make Internet Explorer portable like Firefox? That way, it can be in a folder and if a program needs it, it can be linked to that and still be like it's installed.