KB912812-Anyway to fix ActiveX installs?

Eck

I've downloaded all the latest stuff from the first page of the 9x updates thread, so I'm all set for when I put VMWare back on and install 98SE.

I didn't quite understand what was wrong with that picture of Explorer showing the Windows folder (you mean nothing else but that folder was showing?)

Maybe its because I keep things at 1024+768 and it looked a bit blurry so I didn't notice what was wrong. I'll see what happens with mine when I install it.

Whoo hoo! I just burned my first DVD Video with my new Liteon burner. After years of making VCD's I've finally entered the 21st century. Sheesh, I shrunk it from DVD9 to DVD5 with Nero Recode and it still looks just like the original on my TV. Granted, I have a 20 inch TV but it sure beats what I got with VCD. And no more hours and hours waiting for Tmpgenc.

I know, nothing to do with the thread but I got a little excited here.

I didn't quite understand what was wrong with that picture of Explorer showing the Windows folder (you mean nothing else but that folder was showing?)

Maybe its because I keep things at 1024+768 and it looked a bit blurry so I didn't notice what was wrong. I'll see what happens with mine when I install it.

1024x768 should do it, just start explorer and compare the overall look with my screenshot (hint: the folder tree is missing) :D
Whoo hoo! I just burned my first DVD Video with my new Liteon burner. After years of making VCD's I've finally entered the 21st century. Sheesh, I shrunk it from DVD9 to DVD5 with Nero Recode and it still looks just like the original on my TV. Granted, I have a 20 inch TV but it sure beats what I got with VCD. And no more hours and hours waiting for Tmpgenc.

I know, nothing to do with the thread but I got a little excited here.

Congratulations, let the holy beam serve you well for long years to come, inscribing the rings of enjoyment upon your shiny platters :thumbup

That's what I thought. I noticed your folder tree just had Windows on it. Maybe that happened due to some combination of other updates you may have there. The other folks testing it haven't reported that problem.

Actually I'm glad I waited. Getting a late model drive, applying the latest firmware, using the latest Nero probably avoided earlier problems and needing to experiment with a lot of different software. Kind of like my policy with most of this stuff. I wait until technology is being replaced then buy the last available versions (like Socket A). Whatever can be fixed has been done already and I just get to use stuff that works. Works in theory anyway.

Just ordered Vista on DVD to play with. Kind of looks like XP with WindowBlinds, and if I turn off the driver signing check in the registry apparently (according to some posts in the Creative boards) I'll be able to get most of my hardware to work the same way. Won't be my main system, but it'll be interesting to check out.

Vista is reported to work better with on board audio. Hmmm, I always kind of liked the SoundMAX on my A7V880. Maybe I'll see if I can get the extra Sensaura stuff I bought to work with it too. Frankly, as I use headphones mostly when I play anything loud, all the fancy Creative stuff is nice but the SoundMAX sounded fine too. I already know Realtek suffers in comparison to SoundMAX so I never even tried it on these newer Realtek audio boards, just installing my Audigy 2 ZS's. The A7V880 and Windows Vista sounds like a good way to experiment for me. And I've got the ATI x850Pro hooked to that board (better than this 6600GT I guess) so the extra video memory will help with Vista Aero. Funny how my main board became my secondary board.

Just ordered Vista on DVD to play with. Kind of looks like XP with WindowBlinds, and if I turn off the driver signing check in the registry apparently (according to some posts in the Creative boards) I'll be able to get most of my hardware to work the same way. Won't be my main system, but it'll be interesting to check out.

Sorry, very off-topic in this forum, but have you tried the Linux Kororaa XGL Live CD ? It has an openGL interface like Vista and it is pretty amazing.

http://kororaa.org/static.php?page=static060318-181203

Edited by eidenk

Just a little notice about this patch. Installing it on my system led to this:exp0uz.th.jpg

I was able to fix it by restoring an older version of BROWSEUI.DLL

which version of the BROWSEUI.DLL file did you use to fix your problem, RainyShadow? the one from IE 5.5 SP2. be sure to use the BROWSEUI.DLL file from the KB905915 IE 5.5 SP2 update for the latest security fixes for the BROWSEUI.DLL file.

1024x768 should do it, just start explorer and compare the overall look with my screenshot (hint: the folder tree is missing) :D

The 1024x768 screen resolution should be used with 70Hz or higher refresh rate frequency with your computer monitor. I dont use the 1024x768 screen resolution on a 15 inch computer monitor because the 15' monitor only supports that resolution at 60hz refresh rate which causes screen flickers and hurts my eyes (and gives me headaches). Better get a bigger monitor (17 inch monitor or larger) that can support 1024x768 resolution at least 70Hz frequency to reduce eyestrain.

which version of the BROWSEUI.DLL file did you use to fix your problem, RainyShadow? the one from IE 5.5 SP2. be sure to use the BROWSEUI.DLL file from the KB905915 IE 5.5 SP2 update for the latest security fixes for the BROWSEUI.DLL file.

Yup, that's what i use.

The 1024x768 screen resolution should be used with 70Hz or higher refresh rate frequency with your computer monitor. I dont use the 1024x768 screen resolution on a 15 inch computer monitor because the 15' monitor only supports that resolution at 60hz refresh rate which causes screen flickers and hurts my eyes (and gives me headaches). Better get a bigger monitor (17 inch monitor or larger) that can support 1024x768 resolution at least 70Hz frequency to reduce eyestrain.

Hmm, probably you misunderstood some posts here (sorry if my poor english is the cause)

I use a 19 inch monitor, 1152x864 resolution at 85Hz. The monitor can handle much more, that's just the settings i'm comfortable with.

eidenk,

OMG, that was a cool video. It reminded me of Object Desktop combined with AfterDark screensavers on steroids! It would be fun to watch BadDog unleashed on that thing. I've been using the hacked AfterDark 3.2 and 4.1 for XP and BadDog managed to bring up the Windows 3.1 Program Manager in his travel's. That was fun.

Never tried any Linux stuff. That one looked amazing though.

Errr, I guess this thread has been solved. Guess we can move along now. Nothing more to see here. Thanks, though.