KB912812-Anyway to fix ActiveX installs?

Eck

I just did a clean install and i tryed both fixes URLMONFX.EXE and manually

replace and i still get the windows update error

Can you post here the actual error message/web page eventually quoted?

Windows Update Error

Windows Update has encountered an error. This may be due to a discrepancy in your computer's time setting.

To check your date and time setting:

On the taskbar, double-click the time.

Verify that the date and time is correct.

You can also get online support if you are having problems with Windows Update.

Send error number to Microsoft (0x800C0008)

Note This sends error information but does not create a support incident; you may or may not receive a response.

Seems to me that error came up around the time of usp 1.6. I think it was a problem with some files in the service pack not registering correctly. There was pretty simple fix. I did a quick forum search but was unable to locate the thread. Maybe somebody out there can remember exactly and find it. Might not be the problem, but that was the exact error I got on my daughters system after installing usp 1.6 something.

bUmbLes

That shouldn't be happening from the latest version of the Unofficial Service Pack. It was fixed. Yeah, I do remember there was a work-around fix but it was so long ago I've forgotten.

Try reading some older threads. Also, I think I remember running the Internet Explorer Repair Tool fixed it for me.

Edited by Eck

Internet Explorer Repair Tool

does fix the problem but i have 98SE2ME installed

and last timed i repaired my computer it wouldn't start

Its not URLMONFX.EXE which works

its my IE that has been corrupted

I didn't realize until your post Eck because i had this problem b 4

but didn't remember how to fix it until now.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

This bug has nothing to do with URLMONFX.EXE or with MS06-013 [Q912812].

This can be fixed as detailed below...

I have added a new BUG + FIX topic to READ1ST.TXT under the "KNOWN BUGS + FIXES" chapter:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

BUG:
After installing 98SE2ME option 1 or option 2 [and maybe option 3 (?)]
Internet Explorer 5/6 Repair Tool may not work anymore or Windows may lock up.
More info:
- MSKB:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=194177
- BeemerWorld:
http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/ie5repaira.htm
- HelpWithWindows:
http://www.helpwithwindows.com/windows98/ie50-11.html
- Bleeping Computer:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial71.html
- IEFix IE 5/6 Repair Tool [free]:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htm
FIX:
This works ONLY IF you already made a BACKUP of original Win98 SE system files
when you FIRST installed option 1 or option 2 = see "BACKUP + RESTORE WINDOWS
98 SE" chapter further above.
In such case:
1. Reboot to native/true/real/pure MS-DOS mode:
A. by holding down Shift + F5 at the same time during BIOS boot POST (Power On
Self Test) sequence.
B. OR by scrolling down using the down arrow to the "Command prompt only"
option and then pressing Enter from the Windows 98 Startup Menu:
http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm#MEN
C. OR from a Windows 98 SE Emergency/Bootup/Startup floppy/CD/DVD/USB/external
disc/stick/tape.
2. Copy all files from: Back into [%windir% = usually C:\WINDOWS]:
=======================================================================
%windir%\WIN98SE.9ME %windir% [optional]
%windir%\SYSTEM.9ME %windir%\SYSTEM [MANDATORY]
%windir%\SYSBCKUP.9ME %windir%\SYSBCKUP [optional]
%windir%\SYSTEM\VMM32.9ME %windir%\SYSTEM\VMM32 [optional]
3. Reboot into Windows GUI [Normal boot option]:
http://www.mdgx.com/msdos.htm#MEN

HTH

Edited by MDGx

Internet Explorer Repair Tool

does fix the problem but i have 98SE2ME installed

and last timed i repaired my computer it wouldn't start

Its not URLMONFX.EXE which works

its my IE that has been corrupted

I didn't realize until your post Eck because i had this problem b 4

but didn't remember how to fix it until now.

I had a similar problem of Windows Update Error a few years ago even before the 98se service pack came out but I found a way to fix that.

Go to the 'Windows\System' folder, delete the iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll files (if they exist). Then open registry editor and search for any references to either the iuctl.dll and iuengine.dll files and delete the registry entries that point to any of those files. Then run MDGx's CRYPT9X.EXE patch to re-register some of the "crypto" files, then run ROOTSUPD.EXE to update the Root Certificates for IE, reboot and reload IE and visit the Windows Update site.

Found an old forum thread that mentions the problem error [0x800C0008] with Windows Update and the solution to register three DLL files with REGSVR32 to make Windows Update work again:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=39697

Better to run MDGX's CRYPT9X.EXE patch which registers those DLL files automatically.

yeah..im not to fond of that KB912812 either.....if you use java chat..you have to click the 'chat page' in order to load the java..all because of sun java and their greed and whining....guess they want to be Top Whiners like Google and all the other whiners saying' MS makes more money than us....Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Thanks guys I got it working back normal. :thumbup

no problem PROBLEMCHYLD. save the CRYPT9X.EXE patch on your computer just in case you have the problem again, you can run CRYPT9X to fix the problem.

yeah..im not to fond of that KB912812 either.....if you use java chat..you have to click the 'chat page' in order to load the java..all because of sun java and their greed and whining....guess they want to be Top Whiners like Google and all the other whiners saying' MS makes more money than us....Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

oh stop acting like a baby, jroc! grow up.

I dont have the problems with java chat even with the latest Sun Java software installed on my computer.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh. Well maybe if he reads this he'll think about including uninstall possibilities, if only just for the IE Cumulative update. The other's are probably not uninstallable anyway. Microsoft doesn't even make that available for things like Scripting 5.6, etc.

OH ECK! Try to install this new IE update from MS06-021-

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms06-021.mspx

or better yet, get the patch directly from here:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...0afab75c3a5.exe

The KB916281 patch for IE6 SP1 has URLMON.DLL versions 6.00.2800.1550 and 6.00.2800.1551. See if the newer builds of URLMON.DLL file work ok with Windows Update and Office Update.

Edited by erpdude8

The KB916281 patch for IE6 SP1 has URLMON.DLL versions 6.00.2800.1550 and 6.00.2800.1551. See if the newer builds of URLMON.DLL file work ok with Windows Update and Office Update.
In my tests with WU + WUC new URLMON.DLL 6.00.2800.1551 works properly.

HTH

Good to know! (He says from his XP only machine.) I'll get VMWare installed shortly. Moved to a Gigabyte NVidia Ge-Force 6600GT so I reorganized things. New board too. An Epox 8KRAIPRO. It lets me take advantage of the newer Via Hyperion's IDE driver for my SATA drive. The Asus A7V880 only let me run SATA in RAID mode. I can't say I'll ever "safe remove" my main SATA drive as if it were a USB drive though! I don't see the point of that, but I suppose if I used another drive to back up stuff then that might be handy.

This is supposed to be my #2 box but it actually seems to be handling AGP 8X with the 400 FSB speed. Something the A7V880 doesn't really do. It's interesting that the latest Epox bios doesn't even allow dumbing it down to AGP 4X. That's not user movable, though if I get another of these and install it on the box with the ATI Radeon X850 Pro I can use Smartgart to do it. I haven't found anyway to do that in the NVidia driver (using the latest beta driver with the new control panel and Gigabyte's V-Tuner). That's only if the ATI has trouble with 8X AGP. I think this Epox board is more stable at the max 400 bus speed so I may not have to.

I suppose I've permanantly moved over to XP, but I still need 98 available for obscure stuff like the Star Trek Captain's Chair. XP used to run that but SP2 broke it. As long as it's there I'd like to keep it as functional and secure as possible, so this new Microsoft update is a good thing. Now that it's a back up OS to play with, I think I'll mess around with some really old stuff I've always been afraid of installing on a main box. (No fear formatting a virtual OS.) And, when I break out my old computers I'll of course use 98 on those. XP kills really old boxes. They function with it, but at a snail's pace.

I suppose I've permanantly moved over to XP, but I still need 98 available for obscure stuff like the Star Trek Captain's Chair. XP used to run that but SP2 broke it. As long as it's there I'd like to keep it as functional and secure as possible, so this new Microsoft update is a good thing. Now that it's a back up OS to play with, I think I'll mess around with some really old stuff I've always been afraid of installing on a main box. (No fear formatting a virtual OS.) And, when I break out my old computers I'll of course use 98 on those. XP kills really old boxes. They function with it, but at a snail's pace.

see if there's a patch for the Star Trek Captain's Chair at the game creator's web site that will make it XP SP2 compatible.

min sys requirements for XP are 233 Mhz Pentium with 64megs of RAM. recommeneded config is a 500 Mhz Pentium3 with 128Mb of RAM or better.

I installed 912812 update and now some programs no longer work. Under Add/Remove Programs I uninstalled Q912812 and the programs still don't work. I get a complaint that Active X objects cannot be created. One program that no longer works is UPS Worldship and the other is an automotive cataloging program.

The programs worked just fine before I applied the patch. And uninstalling must not return my system back to its previous state.

I guess I don't completely understand the fixes mentioned in the above posts, or if they even apply to my case. Any help in resolving this issue will be appriciated.

bUmbLes

BTW, this computer's URLMON.DLL is now version 6.00.2800.1525 (after uninstalling Q912812). The other 2 computers that we have are version 6.00.2800.1537(they both show Q912812 in the add/remove programs).

HEY mr_bumbles. ditch the KB912812 update and install the KB916281 update. see if that will improve your situation!

That company now is sticking to books rather than their older cdrom series. They offer old patches for getting stuff like Star Trek Borg to install on 98 correctly, etc. The problem is slightly related to Shockwave Director problems using later versions of QuickTime, but not fully since my other old programs that use Shockwave Director to run QuickTime files run fine with the latest Quicktime, Flash, and Shockwave. Not even the version that used to work before XP SP2, QuickTime 6.5.2, will play the program now. It just errors with an error in Shockwave Director and closes. All compatiblility modes tried. So I just use the latest QuickTime and don't even try Captain's Chair on XP anymore. I just install 98SE somewhere and run it there.

As long as I have both QuickTime 2.1.2.59 and whatever the latest version is installed, all my QuickTime stuff works, old games and new website stuff. Except that Captain's Chair thing. Weird.

See, I have an old SiS5598 HP Pavilion 4430, 4440 board that needs setup /p j to get ACPI to install even with 98. HP's original restore disks set this by default for good reason. With Standard PC, once you install a videocard to replace the built in crap the USB ports will no longer work. They'll show up all nice, but won't detect anything. However, with ACPI the USB ports continue to work after installing a PCI videocard. XP, on the other hand, will not allow ACPI install's even after selecting it during setup. Only Standard PC is allowed. So even though the board more than meets the minimum requirements for XP, it is slow and basically useless as USB is cut off once installing a videocard besides the integrated crap. And, you can't go past DirectX 8.0a if you want the built in video to use software Direct 3D acceleration (even with the software rasterizer installed when updating XP to 9.0c). So 3D games won't even play in XP if using the built in video.

See what I mean? Built in video = no Direct3D. Seperate PCI videocard = no USB. Either way = slow 2D on XP. However, with 9x I can either use the built in video and still have Direct 3D (with 8.0a) or install 9.0c and use a PCI videocard and maintain USB using ACPI.

I understand there are many other boards from the Socket 7 period that do not suffer this problem. I've also seen them on ebay. But I already have 3 of this model motherboard and see no reason to invest any money or time. Dosbox and 9x on VMWare deliver all I need to use any of my older stuff on my newest system. I just play with the older boards at times for fun!

XP is just pointless on that model board.

Oh. Well maybe if he reads this he'll think about including uninstall possibilities, if only just for the IE Cumulative update. The other's are probably not uninstallable anyway. Microsoft doesn't even make that available for things like Scripting 5.6, etc.

OH ECK! Try to install this new IE update from MS06-021-

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/ms06-021.mspx

or better yet, get the patch directly from here:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownlo...0afab75c3a5.exe

Just a little notice about this patch. Installing it on my system led to this:exp0uz.th.jpg

I was able to fix it by restoring an older version of BROWSEUI.DLL