KB912812-Anyway to fix ActiveX installs?

Eck

Those links sometimes work, sometimes not.

actually now eidenk, the links I posted do work...ALWAYS! at least from where I am. they worked all the time in all the web browsers I've tested today. if they dont work it means the macromedia server is busy or overloaded or your internet connection isnt working good.

905915 has 6.00.2800.1525 there, so I now have that one even though the "QFEInstalled"=dword:00000001 Reg setting is there. I hadn't installed that, though. It was there when I checked it in regedit.

Eck, KB905915 for IE6 SP1 also has URLMON.DLL version 6.00.2800.1526 if the 905915 patch installed the RTMQFE edition of the files and the QFEInstalled registry entry was there in Regedit instead of the usual RTMGDR version.

Edited by erpdude8

Ah! Okay I see. The QFE Installed entry is the one there, but the 905915 wouldn't install the older URLMON.DLL since the 912812 had installed the newer one.

And when I extracted 905915 to replace URLMON manually, it only showed the 1525 version. There was another file there that something in the installation probably turns into 1526 but my renaming it manually didn't result in a proper version of URLMON.DLL (no information tabs in the properties page for it).

So it looks like I should be using the 1526 version but I don't know how to unless the installer itself does the file transformation. At least I got those newer versions from 912812 off the system.

Wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft would do some kind of final patch for 9x that leaves things working properly?

Ah! Okay I see. The QFE Installed entry is the one there, but the 905915 wouldn't install the older URLMON.DLL since the 912812 had installed the newer one.

And when I extracted 905915 to replace URLMON manually, it only showed the 1525 version. There was another file there that something in the installation probably turns into 1526 but my renaming it manually didn't result in a proper version of URLMON.DLL (no information tabs in the properties page for it).

So it looks like I should be using the 1526 version but I don't know how to unless the installer itself does the file transformation. At least I got those newer versions from 912812 off the system.

Wouldn't it be nice if Microsoft would do some kind of final patch for 9x that leaves things working properly?

I wish you have used the Add/Remove programs app to remove IE update 912812 first before installing 905915 update, Eck. that would have been a much smarter decision. at least the latest IE patches can be removed from Add/Remove programs regardless of what Windows version being used. note that you can only remove the most recently installed IE patch from Add/Remove programs and you cant remove older IE patches.

after installing build 1525 of urlmon.dll file, use Winzip to extract all the files from the IE6 SP1 KB905915 patch onto a temporary folder. From the temp folder type in "IEUPDATE.EXE /D Q905915" in the Run dialog box. This will make the KB905915 patch for IE6 SP1 install the RTMQFE version of the files inside and the installer will use the MSPATCHA.DLL file to "patch" build 1525 of the URLMON.DLL file and it will become 1526. You will need to restart the computer in order to use 1526 of the urlmon.dll file, even if the IE update does not tell you to restart the computer since this method I described only manually installs the updated files with no prompt to restart the computer.

I have done a test of the IE KB912812 updates on my WinME computer and on my brother's XP SP2 laptop. I had experienced the same problem that you had when not being asked to install ActiveX controls on the WinME machine. HOWEVER, when I tested the KB912812 IE update for XP SP2, I did NOT have the problem. IE would display the Information Bar in xp sp2 telling me whether I should install an activex control or not. I chose to install the ActiveX control and IE would ask me whether I should install the control or not. looks like the problem seems to occur in IE6 SP1 only and not under IE6 for XP SP2 and Win2k3 SP1. guess the problem can also occur for IE6 SP1 under WinXP SP1 because IE6 SP1 does not have the Information Bar feature that is included in XP SP2 and W2K3 SP1.

Edited by erpdude8

I think I may consider un-installing the IE6 SP1 KB912812 patch off my ME computer and will install the KB905915 patch instead so the IE6 SP1 browser can have the ability to properly download & install ActiveX controls again so I can get the ActiveX controls from Office Update and Windows Update.

Edited by erpdude8

Thanks erpdude8. Nice instructions that I printed out.

I guess I have the wrong version of URLMON installed since I manually did it. I'm not sure I want to run the file again since I just went through all that and the activeX appears to be working right (except for that problem I had with WindowsUpdateCatalog that I'm not sure is related).

Running it as you said will allow the setup to patch URLMON to the correct version (1526) so I may do this sometime. I just might wait a bit. After all, Microsoft might possibly update the thing one more time and fix it automatically.

Not too worried for now. It's nice to have the instructions on how to properly set it up. So, thanks!

I installed 912812 update and now some programs no longer work. Under Add/Remove Programs I uninstalled Q912812 and the programs still don't work. I get a complaint that Active X objects cannot be created. One program that no longer works is UPS Worldship and the other is an automotive cataloging program.

The programs worked just fine before I applied the patch. And uninstalling must not return my system back to its previous state.

I guess I don't completely understand the fixes mentioned in the above posts, or if they even apply to my case. Any help in resolving this issue will be appriciated.

bUmbLes

BTW, this computer's URLMON.DLL is now version 6.00.2800.1525 (after uninstalling Q912812). The other 2 computers that we have are version 6.00.2800.1537(they both show Q912812 in the add/remove programs).

Edited by mr_bumbles

You probably just need to reinstall the older KB905915. I went the full route and first reinstalled HTML Help update, then KB905915, then the latest Maximus-Decim MDAC update pack. This just makes sure all the latest versions (that have been proven to work) are there.

After doing that my stuff seems to be working fine. You may want to check the version of URLMON.DLL after installing KB905915. Make sure the older version is there as that's the one that makes the ActiveX stuff install properly.

I installed 912812 update and now some programs no longer work. Under Add/Remove Programs I uninstalled Q912812 and the programs still don't work. I get a complaint that Active X objects cannot be created. One program that no longer works is UPS Worldship and the other is an automotive cataloging program.

The programs worked just fine before I applied the patch. And uninstalling must not return my system back to its previous state.

I guess I don't completely understand the fixes mentioned in the above posts, or if they even apply to my case. Any help in resolving this issue will be appriciated.

bUmbLes

BTW, this computer's URLMON.DLL is now version 6.00.2800.1525 (after uninstalling Q912812). The other 2 computers that we have are version 6.00.2800.1537(they both show Q912812 in the add/remove programs).

mr_bumbles, see the following MS kb articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=909889

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=909738

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=906294

and apply ALL registry fixes found in those three articles. For 909889 create the IE909889.reg file in Notepad and enter the following in between the --- lines:

---

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

@="ClassMoniker"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\InprocServer32]

@="ole32.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProgID]

@="clsid"

---

also re-install HTML Help KB896358 update. see if these will help resolve your problem.

mr_bumbles, see the following MS kb articles:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=909889

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=906294

and apply ALL registry fixes found in those three articles. For 909889 create the IE909889.reg file in Notepad and enter the following in between the --- lines:

---

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

@="ClassMoniker"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\InprocServer32]

@="ole32.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProgID]

@="clsid"

---

Unfortunately this REG hack did not fix the URLMON.DLL bug from MS06-013 not being able to access WU/WUC/OU web sites.

So I'm still using older URLMON.DLL from MS05-054. :(

This happens while using Win98 SE.

Did not try any other OS yet.

Full details here [scroll down to BUGS:]:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#IEC

Anybody else experienced similar problem?

Please post here your findings/fixes/etc.

HTH

Unfortunately this REG hack did not fix the URLMON.DLL bug from MS06-013 not being able to access WU/WUC/OU web sites.

So I'm still using older URLMON.DLL from MS05-054. :(

Full details here [scroll down to BUGS:]:

Anybody else experienced similar problem?

Please post here your findings/fixes/etc.

HTH

the registry fixes dont work with KB912812 update for IE6 SP1 installed. best to revert back to installing KB905915 update and then apply the REG fixes.

It can also happen under IE 6 SP1 for WinME, NT4 SP6a, Win2k & WinXP SP1 so other versions of Windows who have installed KB912812 for IE 6.0 SP1 ARE also affected. I did note in an earlier post that I also had the problem Eck encountered when I installed KB912812 IE6 SP1 update on my WinME computer.

Do you know what conditions trigger the wrong behavior?

My standard system has URLMON.DLL 6.00.2800.1538 from KB912812 and I see no problems with Windows Update or Windows Update Catalog or Office Update?

Petr

Maybe I have noticed it. I tried to open http://driveragent.com/ in MSIE6.0SP1 with KB912912 and I just got an error that ActiveX could not be loaded. I tried their diagnostic program http://driveragent.com/files/ActiveXCheck.exe and it discovered no problem in configuration.

When I put back the URLMON.DLL 6.00.2800.1526 from KB905915, the ActiveX control was offered for download and install and everything worked as axpected.

Then I re-installed KB912812 - and still everything works fine. Apparently there is just problem with downloading and installing of the ActiveX control.

So it seems that if the ActiveX control is already installed, then no problem arise. The problem is just when new ActiveX control has to be downloaded.

Is this the behavior that is discussed in this thread?

Petr

Maybe I have noticed it. I tried to open http://driveragent.com/ in MSIE6.0SP1 with KB912912 and I just got an error that ActiveX could not be loaded. I tried their diagnostic program http://driveragent.com/files/ActiveXCheck.exe and it discovered no problem in configuration.

When I put back the URLMON.DLL 6.00.2800.1526 from KB905915, the ActiveX control was offered for download and install and everything worked as axpected.

Then I re-installed KB912812 - and still everything works fine. Apparently there is just problem with downloading and installing of the ActiveX control.

So it seems that if the ActiveX control is already installed, then no problem arise. The problem is just when new ActiveX control has to be downloaded.

Is this the behavior that is discussed in this thread?

Petr

Thanks a lot Petr.

The bugs/issues with 3rd party/custom ActiveX controls [but not necessarily in my case, the only bug I noticed so far involves a MS's own ActiveX control = the 1 that allows WU/WUC/OU to work] are described here:

and here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=912812

I posted here what I've done so far [scroll down to "BUGS:" and URLMON.DLL]:

Indeed this is the bug I've been experiencing since I 1st installed URLMON.DLL from Q912812.

And there is another person who noticed this same bug with Office Update (OU).

Nothing I've done so far fixed it. :(

I had to revert to older Q905915.

But I'll try the diagnostic tool you linked to, hopefully that will help.

Thanks.

These are errors I get when trying to run a program. This program was already installed on this computer prior to installing KB912812. This is the start up error. If I click "OK" the program opens, but won't function.

error1.doc

This next one is the closing error.

error2.doc

Did you apply ALL the registry fixes from KB articles 909889, 909738 & 906294 to resolve your problem, mr_bumbles? You may also need to remove and re-install the UPS Worldship and the Catalog software you were using to see if that will fix the problem.

Sheesh. And no uninstall link is in add/remove for KB912812. Great. Not that I don't want the security fix, but I really could do without it breaking ActiveX.

OH yes there IS an Uninstall entry for KB912812 in the Add/Remove programs control panel app, Eck! If you install the IE KB912812 update as the most recent update, it should appear in Add/Remove programs as "Internet Explorer Q912812", like it did on my WinME computer. However, if you install another IE update on top of KB912812, the entry (and the un-install data for KB912812) might have been removed.

Note to users installing the latest IE updates on W98/ME/NT4: you can only un-install the most recently installed IE update and you wont be able to remove other IE updates that have been installed earlier. This doesnt apply to users who install IE updates under Win2000, XP & 2003 as they use a different installer to install & remove IE updates.

Edited by erpdude8